1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UConn soccer player sues after losing scholarship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Ex-UConn Soccer Player To Sue After Losing Scholarship For Giving Finger To TV Camera

She held up her middle finger in front of a TV camera while celebrating a win.
    It hardly seems like a one-strike-and-you're out kind of thing but of course, an athlete can lose her scholarship for any reason or no reason at all.
    I'm wondering if there were other disciplinary issues with the kid or if she just wasn't performing up to expectations and the coach was looking for an excuse to get rid of her.
    As I understand the NCAA no longer allows schools to not renew athletes' scholarships for athletic performance reasons, but I'm wondering if this is just a way around that rule.
    I remember a few years ago, someone on here said that an athlete should have the scholarship for the full four or five years unless they flunk off the team, get arrested, transfer or quit without undue pressure. If it turns out that the kid wasn't as good as her or she should have been, too bad.
    I tend to agree but last year I was talking with an assistant softball coach at a Division I program and he said you need to be able to get rid of the kids who aren't doing as well as you hoped because if you don't win, you lose your job. Maybe being the liberal that I am, I can't or won't see things from the point of view of the person sitting on the other side of the desk, but it seems to me that the athletes aren't there for the coaches. The coaches are there for the athletes.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Its all because we didn't write good articles about her in the paper when her JV team won league.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It should be an interesting case. Doesn't seem like a "lose-your-scholarship" type offense.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm a fan for life of anyone who sues the NCAA.

franticscribe and doctorquant like this.
  5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Had she just knocked out another girl with one punch at a restaurant, she would have been fine.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm not crazy about revoking a scholarship mid-semester, but otherwise I've got no beef with this. Coach's decision.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What if the coach routinely cusses at the players in practice? Would it be OK for a coach who yells at a player to move her MFing ass dozens of times during a routine practice to take the scholarship away because a player flips the bird?

8. bstnmarthn354

bstnmarthn354 New Member

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not everything that's an asshole move belongs in the court system.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Should be interesting. On one hand, the school can always claim the all-encompassing "violation of team rules." But on the other hand, they better have taken away a lot of athletes' scholarships mid-year for similar flimsy reasons or she may have a case.

Plus, from what it sounds like, her lawyer may be claiming Title IX violations because she is being treated less equally by the athletic department.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Hon, while representing the university you looked square into a camera, smiled and flipped the bird. STFU and enjoy Hofstra.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

She is suing UConn.

Draft saved Draft deleted