1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 College Football Bowl-a-Rama thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 16, 2016.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Baylor RB Linwood skipping team's bowl game

All-time leading rusher but benched for attitude issues as well. He'll be lucky to go on Day 3 of the draft.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't see him selling a lot of insurance in the Waco area post-career.

poindexter likes this.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

poindexter likes this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Actually, I could see this as the opening of the bowl-skipping floodgates; I imagine more than a few guys who think they are NFL quality (a number which is probably 10x reality) will skip "to protect their bodies" but really because they are sick and tired of their coaches and the effort required to play for free.

As a Vol fan, I'm wondering what Derek Barnett or Alvin Kamara has to prove in playing the Music City Bowl?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There has to be some amount of panic setting in behind the scenes at ESPN over what this development may mean for the future of its December programming, right?

7. LongTimeListener

Many years ago there was a Cal-Washington game that came down to one final play at the goal line to decide who would go to a bowl, as both teams were 5-6.

The way Washington waltzed into the end zone, I was convinced Cal players decided they'd rather have the month off.

8. Dick Whitman

That, and, also, even the second-day guys are going to panic when other second-day types are skipping their bowls to get ready. Christian McCaffery is getting drafted no matter what. But if you're the tight end for Wyoming, projected to be a fifth-rounder to undrafted, and the tight end from Ball State, same projection, just announced he's starting his draft prep ...

9. LongTimeListener

Not doing adequate draft prep (hello, Michael Sam!) is like trying to get into the Ivy League without taking an SAT class.

And if you're messing around with some football tourism until Jan. 1, you aren't doing adequate draft prep.

10. Dick Whitman

One of my favorite threads ever was when @YankeeFan got absolutely schooled on NFL Draft details in the weeks following Michael Sam coming out. He had some angle he was working about liberals supporting the NFL, the particulars of which escape me now, and stuck to his guns about no player ever getting a vague draft range in January until the bitter end. It was admirable. Like watching Custer at Little Big Horn.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fuck 'em.

Get some programming where the talent gets paid.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted