1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 College Football Bowl-a-Rama thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Little Caesars Bowl has been a real bonanza.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I thought NYC was Big 10 country now. Shouldn't the Pinstripe Bowl count? And why haven't they sought a Military Bowl tie-in for that classic Midwestern town known as Annapolis?

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Fine then. The Quick Lane Bowl is as close to Maryland as the Citrus Bowl is to LSU.

In all seriousness, it is kind of surprising there's no bowl game in Indianapolis.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Isn't the idea of bowl games that visitors might want to do some other stuff too? Can't imagine a whole lot of interest in going to Indianapolis at that time.

Of course, that doesn't explain the one in Detroit.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Indy is an underrated city, I'd visit there ahead of probably half the bowl locales. That said, the whole December part is kind of a killer.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah. I have no problem with Indy. Big problem with winter Indy.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it's rigged. Just saying it's fact. It's the nature of the beast. Most bowls are played in warm climates, and that leads to an advantage.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If they can have bowls in December in Boise and Albuquerque, I think Indy would do just fine.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

True. I'm not blaming the SEC.
    Only thing I'll blame is the playoff, which doesn't have the championship game in the Midwest at any future point as far as I know.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Here's a handy hint: Winning more games gets you better bowls.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It's open for bidding and not tied to the big 6 bowls (example, Tampa next month.) Let them put in a bid and see what happens.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And in Santa Clara in 2018/19.
    Minneapolis did put in a bid for the 2017 championship game. It was the only city in Big Ten country to do so.
    The games through 2020 have been awarded (Tampa, Atlanta, Santa Clara, New Orleans), but if they enter another bid in the next round I'm sure Minneapolis would get it at some point with its new stadium. And, since Indianapolis is the emergency contingency plan for every major NCAA championship, it'd probably just have to submit a bid to get the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted