1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 College Football Bowl-a-Rama thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 16, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Hockey

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

BC won 8 or 9 games pretty often from about 1981-2008. But in all that time I can't think of a season that would qualify as "great." Maybe with Matt Ryan in 2007, but that still didn't end with a major bowl game. Cotton Bowl in the mid-80s? In the crowded Boston sports market you got to be better than consistently pretty good to matter much.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've posted this before, but the problem for BC is that they're just one college in the world's biggest college town. My kids went to BU and they'd rather eat glass than root for BC in anything. All the other 100 or so schools here feel the same way. Flutie was the only person who made that issue go away. My wife still has the Bills jersey I bought for her almost 20 years ago, that's how much of a Doug person she was/is. But when BC left the Big East, it demolished ANY appeal it had around here in either football or basketball. In the '80s and 90s. when Georgetown, Syracuse, St. John's or even Calipari's UMass came to play BC, it was in the Garden. Duke comes and they're lucky to fill BC's home arena (an excellent one, BTW) of less than 9K seats. Nobody cares. Penny wise and pound foolish.

4. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

The problem is they suck.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That's the problem now, but for 30 years they didn't suck, they just were never great. Like Gee said, the Boston market is way over saturated beyond even the four pro teams. It takes more than back-to-back 9 win seasons to fill a bandwagon and they were never The U or Wooden's UCLA capturing attention in a big city market.

6. dixiehack

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Almost a totally disastrous day for the SECessionist Conference. Nearly lose to a 6-6 MAC team, get flogged by a 6-6 ACC team.

8. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Yet ESPN was still playing up that angle, even when the score was 28-10.

9. dixiehack

Well damn. I was feeling pretty good about the Peach Bowl, but if it turns out Vandy and MSU aren't good, my whole world is a lie.

poindexter likes this.
  10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If Vanderbilt losing is a disaster, it's all a castle made of sand.

11. dixiehack

My cable guide votes no. Says they are playing Illinois basketball in the Big 10-ACC Challenge.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ACC?
    Boston College
    Miami
    Va Tech
    Pitt
    Syracuse
    Louisville
    Florida State

Draft saved Draft deleted