1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas parties and bonuses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That go give money is pretty damn impressive of a company. Think about it. None of these big newspaper chains give ANYTHING to their employees at Christmas. Working for a newspaper is truly the worst occupation on earth. You've seen the lists of 200 jobs. Newspaper reporter ALWAYS comes in 199th or 200th. Only job worse is lumberjack as I recall. Fifty dollars of go give money! I applaud that business owner. I sure do.
    I'd like to give the middle finger to all newspaper chains. Disgraceful how they treat employees. Can you imagine getting 50 bucks from one of these chains for Christmas? No fricking way. You'll get a notice of "no raises" or "impending furloughs" but not 50 bucks.
    At a newspaper, the kindest thing you'll get at Christmas is a "promise" that "next year you can probably maybe expect raises to come back." ... Sure they will.

2. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I'd like to give the world a Coke.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Fuck those lists. I am still in sports media but not working for a newspaper any longer.

Doing just about anything else would suck. I know there are challenges, but being a sports reporter is, on most days, pretty great.

If you think cleaning toilets or flipping burgers is better, be my guest.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

How about flipping toilets and cleaning burgers?

Doc Holliday likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Having been a reporter and having been not a reporter, I think that the actual work of being a reporter is the best job in the world.

Doc Holliday, Bronco77 and SnarkShark like this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And it still isn't worth all the crap that comes with it.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

100 percent agreed on both counts.

I Should Coco likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I work for a large health insurance company now. We didn't get any kind of bonus for Christmas, either. Like the $50 go give, we do get a day we can claim as Volunteer Time Off and spend a day volunteering.

I am way past the point of hoping for or counting on any kind of Christmas bonus.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are that type, being a reporter is pretty easy. You can coast on rewriting press releases, regurgitating quotes from press conferences, etc., and check out after 8 hours every day. We all know those guys or gals.

If you are driven and competitive, being a reporter is a bitch, and you are never off.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I work in a spacious cubicle with two monitors, high-speed internet access and a huge TV hanging barely 10 feet in front of me. Design 12-18 pages a day. Never go to a meeting (all budgeting and communication is done by google doc, gmail and google chat). Never work more than 40 hours a week.

It's a far cry from worst job in the world.

Bronco77 likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sure, but reporting and designing are different jobs by nature. I got really frustrated with the always-on-the-clock aspect of reporting. Like when I had to call Jerry Falwell Sr. a about a 12-pack into NFL championship Sunday because he decided to hire his athletic director at 8 p.m. on a Sunday. Still can't believe I pulled that one off.

dixiehack likes this.
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I've designed an entire news section while shitfaced quite a few more times than I care to admit.

Doc Holliday likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted