1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas parties and bonuses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Never thought about it this way, but you make a damn good point. +1

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Next time don't invite Starman.

murphyc likes this.
  3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I'm honestly amazed at how many people here got zero bonus and/or Christmas party and they're completely fine with it. I got a party and $20 gift card and I'm pissed. I won't be long for this business. My guess is two more years and I'm out, on a beach, enjoying the time I have left.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Why?

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Needs more details.

6. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

The company did throw a party, with food, but I was already attending another event that night.

Also, some bonus money did arrive. Without going into the entire story, we can't accept extra payments from most of the clients, but there are a few exceptions. The bonus cash came from one of them after the holiday time off had started.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

It's not a journalism thing. My dad has worked at the same factory for 30-something years. Never got a bonus or big party. Mom is a nurse, same thing. I never had expectations of anything other than a paycheck. Big bonuses and parties ain't for working people like us.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm just your typical silver spoon baby whose dad stocked shelves on the midnight shift at Wal-Mart. Everything handed to me.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Why are you being so defensive?

10. Dick Whitman

I'm not, really. It pains me when people here give up and decide that only "other," lucky, lazy people have a path to security of any sort.

11. Dick Whitman

I do find it hilarious that in "Christmas Vacation," the premise asks us to feel sorry for someone who may not be able to install an in-ground pool with his Christmas bonus check. High drama. Very relatable.

Ace likes this.
  12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted