1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 College Football Bowl-a-Rama thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 16, 2016.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This New Year's Eve stuff has got to go. I don't care if it's on a college football Saturday.

Semifinals on New Year's Day sandwiched around the Rose Bowl when it doesn't have a semifinals.

Rose Bowl semifinals years: Semis at 5 p.m. (Rose) and 8:30 p.m. EST (Sugar) on New Year's Day.
    Non-Rose Bowl semifinals: Semis at 1 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. EST on New Year's Day with the Rose in the 100-year-plus 5 p.m. slot because, well, it's the damn Graddaddy.

The Sugar Bowl should not have a lock on the 8:30 p.m. New Year's Day slot. There's no century-old tradition there.

No New Year's Day buzz. No one watching this drek on New Year's Eve.

jr/shotglass and HanSenSE like this.
  2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It was so great seeing Saban lose that everyone decided it was a conclusive ass-kicking.

Probably related to why the last two years have left us all a bit unfulfilled (shut up, @three_bags_full @dixiehack @Steak Snabler).

Speaking of which ... I'll watch next week, but I won't read or listen to a word in advance or reflection. "Yeah, shit, same teams, let's go find more people who went to Alabama with Dabo."

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ohio State was last shut out in 1993.

5. LongTimeListener

They did change it. Starting after the 2018 season, the semis will be the Saturday before NYE. Next season the Rose and Sugar are the semis so they don't have to adjust.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And before that was 1982.
    I was born in 1976. Ohio State has been shut out four times in my lifetime. That's insane.

7. three_bags_full

Fowler just said last bowl shutout was in the 20s.

8. three_bags_full

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know Clemson is shoving it up their ass, but this is taking it a little far.

[​IMG]

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

They changed it. They didn't fix it.

More meaningless New Year's Day exhibitions than showcasing the sport. But, as long as they get their billions, who cares.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

apology for poor English
    when were you when ohio state dies?
    I was in food coma on couch when phone rings
    'osu is kill'
    'no'

12. LongTimeListener

You can't fit three college football games into the tidy 3-3.5 hour time slots you're talking about.

Dec. 28-30 is fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted