1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 College Football Bowl-a-Rama thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 16, 2016.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The rose bowl always takes forever.

Also, CFB really needs to think about the gamblers. If all of their money is tied up into USC-Penn State, they can't take their winnings and then let it ride on Oklahoma-Auburn. They need to be more considerate.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Four hour games will eventually kill this sport. People don't have the time or attention span to devote to four hours. And there's no reason for it anyways.

3. exmediahack

It kind of is on Saturdays during the season.

I get serious about watching games during the 1:30-2:30 and 5-6 pm Central hours. I don't care about the first 2.5 hours after kickoff.

I still don't know why people commit 10 hours to one game to see it in person unless it's a historic place or somewhere that holds nostalgia. Eight years ago, I took our son to a game at Notre Dame. We had seats at the 50. That was special for the experience but not really the game.

Now, I can't imagine sitting through, oh, Wisconsin-Purdue for four hours. You already know the end result and it's a slog.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If Bama was the only team that could beat USC and Penn St is up two scores on the Trojans, a Penn St Bama title game would have been the best game in the history of the game.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Rose Bowl is always a long affair -- even without having a dumb-ass Orange Bowl-esque halftime. Still, no one gives a crap about the Sugar Bowl. It's why it needs to give up its coveted last game on New Year's spot and put the two playoff games on New Year's Day, sandwiched around the Granddaddy in the years Pasadena doesn't have a semi.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Every time some kid like Adoree Jackson gets carted off in a bowl game, it's going to lead one more player to go the Fournette/McCaffrey route in the future.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And then we'd have a playoff game starting at 9:30 p.m. Eastern because the Rose Bowl isn't going to budge off 2 p.m. PST.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As well it shouldn't budge. Been that way for more than 60 years and it's the most tradition-laden game in the sport.

Playoff No. 1: 1 p.m. EST
    Rose Bowl: 5 p.m. EST
    Playoff No. 2: 9 p.m. EST

What's the problem?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Longest replay review ever.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Aside from two time zones tuning out to go to work the next day? Nothing. A 9 pm kick on a playoff would be as disastrous as this New Year's Eve bullshit.

And fuck the obstructionist assed Rose Bowl, which has been mucking up progress in this sport for decades.

dixiehack and Batman like this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Ridiculous overturn on the fumble.

12. exmediahack

Rose Bowl needs to worry about the quality of the turf instead of their little bowl game and their parade that no one under 87 cares about.

Draft saved Draft deleted