1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 College Football Bowl-a-Rama thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 16, 2016.

1. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Because Oklahoma has the responsibility to address it. What if something else had happened between the incident and when the video came out?

If another school or an NFL team wants to take on the baggage now that it's packed, go to it.

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I assume this was also a big part of the appeal of the MLB all-star game back in the day.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Back in the day, you got Dizzy Dean on the "NBC Game of the Week" once a week. A city which had an MLB franchise only saw teams in their own league, with the exception of about half the time on Saturday. So yeah, you heard about pitchers and batters in the other league, but you didn't see much of them. The All Star game was special.

Back in the day.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Here you go, Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese in 1961. It's just a little different...

Dizzy wrestles with Joe Amalfitano's name, and pronounces it about four different ways. When I was a kid we'd laugh at his fractured English, especially when he was excited - "He slid, slided, slud into third base!". Harvey Kuenn, Matty Alou (mispronounced as Marty), Willie Mays, and Orlando Cepeda at bat. Juan Marichal in the dugout. Hispanic names get all kinds of fractured as well.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Back in my day, sonny boy, all you got was the Cubs and the Braves. And we liked it. Uphill both ways.

doctorquant likes this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Hey.......did anyone know that Bob was Jesse Palmer's DC at Florida?.......

That entire broadcast was brutal.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't regret my decision not to watch.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Rose Bowl is an obvious exception to the thought that these games feel hollow ... It still looks and feels great on TV and feels like a big game, no matter who is in it. Part of it is the crowd. That stadium just looks fantastic filled to the brim like it was yesterday.

The other issue is that every damn one of these games looks the same on TV, thanks to ESPN owning everything, save for the Sun. I tried to watch the Sugar because I had a friend who was rooting for the Tigers, but quickly realized that I was exhausted and was not going to ruin my Tuesday to stay up to watch that game.

Anyway, I'll get off your lawn now.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And that Penn State brought the masses. I thought it would be about 80,000 USC and 20,000 PSU. But it was just about split.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Didn't you notice? They tweaked the font for the score numbers in the playoff games. Really.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Still didn't see any Poster Bodoni.

Bastards.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That I did notice, yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted