1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marijuana causes schizophrenia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 12, 2017.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Folks laugh when I point out that the young men who have schizophrenic breaks, and commit murder almost always also smoke pot.

Might not be a coincidence.

But hey, let's continue to legalize it.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Tunnel vision causes YankeeFan.

Film at 11.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Do they drink? Maybe we should ban that too.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

/Reads tweet
    //Reads story

Why yes, I believe this tweet hurdles over YF's admittedly low bar of Fake News. Loogit that fake news. Isn't it cute?

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    I'm schizophrenic
    And so am I

Captain_Kirk likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I saw a few things about this study yesterday. Here is something:

Here's what marijuana does and doesn't do to you

I have seen these types of studies before, even though this one goes a step farther. The past things I have seen suggested evidence that marijuana makes the symptoms worse for schizophrenics -- they have more psychotic symptoms or episodes when they are potheads.

This is interesting, because it sounds like it suggests that pot may increase the risk actually developing schizophrenia.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

YF, did you actually find the study and read it or just the article? I ask because the article makes some very strong claims and backs them up in a way that is vague at best.

I also notice that you mentioned only half of the headline, which also includes the claim that marijuana triggers heart attacks.

The evidence presented in the article is as follows:
    "There's weak evidence that suggests smoking marijuana can trigger a heart attack, especially for people at high risk of heart disease. But there's no evidence either way on whether chronic use affects a person's risk of a heart attack."

YF, do you believe that evidence supports the headline?

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

What's fascinating to me, whether the headline on the article YF linked is accurate or not, is that I've known a couple of schizophrenics who feel more at ease with themselves when using marijuana than when taking the heavy antipsychotics that are typically prescribed. Of the five or six I've known, only one is/was comfortable on the prescribed medication.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If this were true, given how many people smoke dope in this country we'd have one hell of a lot more unfortunate folks walking around with schizophrenia than we do now.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"It's a distinct possibility."

[​IMG]

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't know how to respo ... uh, I forgot what I was saying.

12. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I think you missed the study's main takeaway:

The study says marijuana alarmism is preventing us from getting the science needed to write optimal marijuana policy.

Draft saved Draft deleted