1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. They've got it all figured out.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK, that sucks. I've said that forever.

But California's economy is humming along.

You've really gotten ridiculous in your arguments. But I guess when you're stuck defending Trump, that's bound to happen.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

California has a ton of natural advantages that even Dem governance can't completely offset.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Haha you just can't accept it when shit you don't like works.

Raising the income tax on the wealthy was supposed to kill the economy. All of our regulation was supposed to kill it. The cities imposing higher minimum wages was supposed to kill it. There was joy throughout the land and on Fox News that California was on the brink of disaster.

And now? Eh, California can't go wrong.

I really thought you evaluated things by more than R or D, but I guess you've thrown in the towel on that.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Under Trump, states will stratify. We're going to have Democratic states wbere life remains pretty good. We'll have good schools, good healthcare, better jobs. Then we'll have the red states where the services remain bottom rung. People get kicked off healthcare, schools will deteriorate, jobs will suck.

Hint: If your state didn't expand Medicaid during the Obama years, you're really fucked.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Minnesota says hello.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to your reasoning here. I wouldn't think it would much matter. At worst you're where you would have been anyway.

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

FTFY

California -- America's first failed state?

LongTimeListener likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Massachusetts is in the top five states in just about every economic and social metric. And yeah, our weather sucks.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Medicaid is a budget killer. It is fiscally killing states. And the idea behind that "expansion" was that the burden is going to be shifted from the Federal government (which just runs up debt to keep this fantasy alive, anyhow -- and that can not go on forever) to those states. That is NEVER going to happen -- the program itself drives up costs (while reducing services), and the massive run up in costs have been killing states. I have no idea what kind of inefficient, regulated mess we end up with rather than the mess they are going to get rid of. But it is a complete fantasy to suggest that some states can have chocolate fountains and puppy dogs and free lunches for everyone, whereas any state not living that fantasy and fiscally compromising itself is "fucking" its citizens. It's amazing that we have gotten to a place that this is the way conversations get framed in this country.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If California is so great, why won't it stop fucking raining?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.