1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

IMG_0769.jpg

Matt1735, bigpern23 and cranberry like this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

John Lewis is a hero of mine, and a bigger man than Trump could ever dream of being. Lewis' politics aren't mine, but if I lived in his district I suspect I'd vote for him just because of who he is and what he went through.

SnarkShark and Ace like this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How did Lewis avoid service in Vietnam?

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There was a little misunderstanding there.

Putin's annexation of Crimea had little to do with NATO expansion per se and EVERYTHING to do with the despicable U.S./NATO coup that ousted Yanukovich and installed American puppet Poroshenko. Until that moment, Putin had made ZERO moves toward Ukraine in 14 years --- zero --- and was on the verge of cementing an important alliance with Ukraine. If you could turn back the clock and erase the 2014 Ukraine coup, there NEVER would have been any move on Crimea.

Look at Russia's border in 2000 and compare it to today. What's different? Crimea, and that's all. In 16 years, that's all. If Putin is trying to take over Europe, at this rate it won't be accomplished until the year 2763.

What NATO expansion has done is force Putin into a very uncomfortable position where he feels his country is threatened from all sides (Remember how we reacted with missiles were being installed in Cuba? Now imagine the Soviet Union installing about two dozen military bases in Canada and Central America, and you get the idea where Putin is coming from with regard to NATO expansion).

But it's basically a civil war between factions of a country that has been divided since it declared independence. It's not "Russia trying to make Kiev fall." And the civil war started because the Eastern part of the country saw its democratically elected president illegally removed from power, felt it no longer had a voice, and resisted. And Russia backed them, just as we back the other guys (we've just resisted helping them militarily, though we've already done plenty enough damage).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Vombatus likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He was too old to be draft eligible.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

We should never forget what John Lewis did long ago, but we can't remember what Robert Byrd did.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Who controls Ukraine's nukes? I forgot how that all got split up and controlled as the USSR dissolved.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

OK, my count might be off by a drink, but as I recall I had a couple double ($4 extra) greyhounds at the airport Chili's then four vodkas (with a splash of soda and lime) during the flight.

The rationale went something like: It was a Friday afternoon, I had the coupons and a driver was meeting me at JFK.

As a side note, there was a Las Vegas party girl (about 28, bleached hair, leopard-skin tights, black boots, plexiglass fingernails and, yes, a nose stud) in the seat next to me who struck up a conversation about the joys of Valium at one point. It was kind of surreal until my ears started popping.

I was passed out fully clothed on my couch by around 8:30 and made it upstairs somewhere around 2:30 or 3.

YankeeFan, doctorquant and Vombatus like this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They were all transferred to Russia by 1996 or dismantled. Between 4,700-6,700 weapons.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Cran,

I like how you were sure to add "fully clothed". Well done, sir.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Ukraine gave up its nukes in 1994, a decision it surely regrets now.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

John Lewis being a hero isn't in dispute.

But, the media, among others, loves to use guy's like Lewis and McCain to do their dirty work.

John Lewis says Donald Trump is illegitimate!!!!

So what? His status as a civil rights hero doesn't make him infallible in all regards or make him above criticism when he makes such claims.

Trump didn't denigrate his bravery during the civil rights era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.