1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I bet that's how Chamberlain was thinking when he entered that Munich Agreement.

You really don't think it sets a bad precedent if we start recognizing forced annexation by military invasion?

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

McCain has become a bigger hero since 2008.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Trump only likes civil rights leaders who didn't get their skulls smashed in by racist, authoritarian police.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I denounce him.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I Should Coco and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Does the world recognize the new leaders of all the regime changes we have initiated? I think so. They may not like it, but they don't just pretend it didn't happen.

And you can make an argument that Putin should or shouldn't have done what he did, but you know something? You weren't there. You weren't in the Kremlin hearing intelligence reports that your Black Fleet Navy in Sevastopol was being threatened by the new hostile government in Ukraine. You didn't hear the intelligence reports that Putin heard. Leaders make tough choices. Sometimes they get it wrong. But with regard to Crimea, the majority of people WANTED to join Russia, since the only other choice was the new, hostile (to them) Ukraine government. They're ethnically Russian. They were only made a part of Ukraine thanks to some silly transfer done by Khruschev (a Ukrainian) that really didn't matter at the time since they were all part of the USSR anyway. Crimeans by and large are HAPPY with their arrangement. They're "home" again. Only Kiev (and the West) is feeling butthurt over the referendum (the word you should use instead of annexation).

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lewis compared McCain to George Wallace, but that was ok.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Now, if Trump had said this...

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The comedian?

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Going back to the Munich well, I'd point out that you're again using the exact same flawed logic used there: "well, since the Sudetenland is full of ethnic Germans who want to join Germany anyways...." How'd that work out?

And you're changing the issue by bringing up regime change recognition. The issue here is forced annexation--the practice of a stronger country seizing part of a weaker country by military force and then calling it its own. Can you cite any modern examples where we've recognized that?

We don't recognize it because world history shows really nasty consequences follow when that sort of thing gets legitimized. And that's not just an anti-Putin/Russia thing. I'm quite certain we'd similarly object if France sent their tanks into Belgium and then declared that Wallonia was now the newest province of France (because, after all, the people there speak French and act all frenchy anyways...). Nobody's allowed to do that with world approval anymore.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Aren't well-defined borders a relatively recent phenomena in human history? 700 years?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.