1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What are the chances Trump could identify the district Lewis represents? 25 percent?

2. Big Circus

And how many of you guys know that official Politics thread style is "Question, followed by a guess at the answer to that question, also in question form"? Half of you?

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What is this? Fucking Jeopardy?

Steak Snabler and RickStain like this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Simple: He was born in 1940. Draft applied to those born from 1944-50.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just quoted this part of your response. But I totally see it that way, too -- well, actually, I just think that is factually correct, regardless of how people frame the events. The U.S. tried to insert itself there by doing what the U.S. does, and Putin reacted the way Putin does -- to put it simply. So while here it has become all about the invasion and the anexation of Crimea, I can understand how other parts of the world see a more complete picture of it. In Russia, they just see the half they want to see -- which is how Putin can be so popular over actions like that.

Whether Putin was justified, or whether we were wrong AND Russia was wrong, is a conversation. I guess I saw that article, which seemed to be rationalizing his actions based on what looked like some sort of revisionist history, and that was what I was reacting to. Putin could give two shits about some nebulous promise that James Baker made to Gorbachev 25 years ago. Just as the U.S. could give two shits about its "policy" 25 years ago. It's how we can support a dictator in our "national interests" at one point in time, and turn around, say a decade later when the world has changed accordingly, and act in a diametrically opposed way -- doing it with a straight face. The same holds for Putin -- although, as much of a critic as I can be about the U.S. and some of the screwed-up things we do (much of it cloaked in secrecy) -- I do think that Putin is more dangerous and more brutal in dealing with things he finds to be a threat. That isn't giving the U.S. a pass, and it isn't the "Anything Putin does is bad" narrative some really want right now. The world isn't that black and white, for me at least.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Wow. Banging 20,000 women and making the Munich Agreement? That's some career.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He been thinkin'.

8. Big Circus

And whatnot.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There was not a referendum in the Sudetenland. There was in Crimea.

After the referendum, the leader of Crimea at the time said he would apply to join Russia.

It really was not the military takeover you have been led to believe. Yes, there was military presence, because Russia's naval stronghold in Sevastopol was threatened. And unlike the Sutetenland (sigh, always the Hitler reference), there have been no other "takeovers." How come?

And you keep forgetting, NONE OF THIS would have happened without the U.S./NATO coup in Ukraine. Crimeans were fine with their situation before that, because they had a leader who had their back. His government was replaced by one viewed as hostile to Crimeans. That blood's on our hands.

And you also keep forgetting, Crimeasns are basically happier now. Isn't that really the most important thing? Not how Washington or Kiev or Moscow feels . . . but the residents of Crimea? It's not perfect, but it's better.

No regrets over Ukraine split, but Crimeans want more love from Russia

You're 100 percent correct. Problem is, there is no conversation. Not in the media, and, more important, not in Washington. And any attempts at having such a conversation get people labeled as "Putin apologist." Stephen F. Cohen tries to explain all this, but his is a lone voice in the wilderness. I implore everyone to listen to his "Tales of the New Cold War" podcasts with John Batchelor (he's on live every Tuesday at 10 p.m.). Much deeper than the 5-minute segments he occasionally gets on CNN or Fox News.

audioBoom / Tales of the New Cold War: “Unsubstantiated” Allegation Trump Compromised by Russians. Stephen F. Cohen, @NYU @Princeton EastWestAccord.com

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The odds were better before someone's credit dried up in the Great Recession.

The high rise Donald Trump planned in John Lewis’ district never happened. Sad! | Atlanta Buzz with Jennifer Brett

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Funny how all these east European countries keep welcoming in our awful American troops. They must not have BTE to Kremlin-splain how evil we are and why they should go running back into the arms of loving mother Russia.

NATO buildup in Poland: US troops welcomed - CNN.com

cranberry likes this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, you did try to dispute it by questioning how he got out of serving in Vietnam. You just ran away from that point when Inky posted a simple fact that cut off your attempt at the knees.

Ace and tapintoamerica like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.