1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'm sure noted sweatervest wearer, YSU president and the always-trustworthy Jim Tressel will be there to make sure things are on the up-and-up while traveling through Israel.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Good God, you're such a sexist.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Would you complain if the class was participating in the inauguration and the school paid for their gas to get there?

This sounds like a historic trip and great opportunity.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sounds like two polar opposite reasons to do nothing. Giving HHS the ability to negotiate a framework for Medicare drug pricing wouldn't result in significant savings? Or the results would be so stifling for pharmaceutical companies in terms of expensive R&D that it would kill profit motivation for them? Which is the better argument?

5. doctorquant

You know, that's the kind of cliched nonsense the academic left engages in that, unfortunately, isn't a cliche. The woman leading that is an assistant professor of sociology barely two years out of her doctoral program. If her personal website is to be believed, she keeps a bowl of condoms on her desk like others keep bowls of candy. Her research record is a joke, and she's probably going to be bounced out on her ass in a year or two because she's not published shit. And, of course, her explanation for it will be "sexism!" or "heteronormity!" or some such nonsense.

This business of engaging in advocacy on the public's dime is at least partly to blame for the mess we're in. Lady, you've got a job to do. This ain't it.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. doctorquant

Not if HHS isn't further empowered to say "No, we're not paying that for that" and walk away from the table.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I view it as a historic opportunity, not so much advocacy. If there were black studies classes int he 60s and they could go to the March on Washington, I'd think that would have been a pretty good thing to do.

Having said that, there certainly are some loony professors out there.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'd rather have a state university chipping in a few bucks to send some protestors to a rally than have one that gets its accreditation yanked because the tea party governor sacked the entire board of trustees and then meddled in the hiring of a school president.

Kentucky governor puts Louisville at risk of losing accreditation

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One of my grad school housemates was a biology student. As part of the program he was in, they got the university to pay for a duck hunting trip to study the effects of pesticides on mallards. I got to tag along since some of the students were lousy shots.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You should check out the comments on anti-abortion sites on Facebook. You have people who say that God is blessing rapes that end up in pregnancy.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Believe me (shit, I sound like Trump), he would be perfectly happy with about two dozen fewer NATO bases up his ass. And by "sphere of influence", he's basically saying, "If something's happening on or near our borders, we deserve to have a voice in it, and we certainly deserve to have a voice in it more than that nation 5,500 miles to the west."

After 16 years, it's pretty obvious (to me, anyway) that he's not a land-grabber. He wants, first and foremost, to rebuild his country's economy. And to do that he needs partners --- in Europe and in the West --- and he needs stability. Higher oil prices wouldn't hurt, either. Syria and Ukraine are stability-wreckers. So is any conflict that the USA gets its hands involved with --- because the USA benefits when other places destroy one another.

12. doctorquant

You may view it that way. She doesn't (and neither, likely, do the participants): "It’s about letting Trump and the new administration in general know ..."

Look, anybody wants to protest, knock yourself out. That's what America's all about. But this shit of people entering academia so they can get paid for grinding their axe? Fuck that. It casts an ugly shadow on the entirety of academe. There are plenty of sociologists (and people in other disciplines) out there pursuing worthwhile questions that might naturally run afoul of one sensibility or another. The last thing we need is for that good work to be disregarded because of the games being played by jejune little con artists like this.

YankeeFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.