1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The population of Daugavipils, Latvia is majority Russian. I don't think that the ethnic Latvians have been entirely fair to the ethnic Russians since the collapse of the Soviet Union. And admittedly I have not been in Russia in almost a decade but the Russians I knew would get very emotional about the mistreatment of ethnic Russians in the ex USSR Baltic republics. I think the treatment of the Russian minority in the country of Latvia and for that matter Estonia will be a problem for decades. After all, the political history of Belgium is basically the Dutch and French speakers fighting. Would you favor Putin invading Daugavipils to protect the ethnic Russians? I would not because if we start to redraw maps god know where it stops.

You have eloquently asked us to be empathetic to many of Russia's grievances. But if you were an ethnic Latvian in Riga, or even for that matter an ethnic Pole in Warsaw would you look at Russian actions in the Ukraine and decide that it is the your national interest to be in NATO?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Right. That's why I disagree, and have repeatedly, with YF declaring here that someone "lied" every time they get something wrong. People's memories are simply awful. People make mistakes all the time.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

So he didn't attend the 2001 Bush inauguration but presumably DID attend the 2005 Bush inauguration which would make that mistake more likely.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'd have ignored it because it likely would have ranked about No. 6 in terms of egregiousness on any given day over the past year or so.

doctorquant likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I operate under the assumption that any time a garden-variety pol's lips are moving there's a damn good chance one or more lies are in the air. I don't know as I even consider that lying, seeing as how the truth trades at such a severe discount in that market.

FileNotFound, Ace and cranberry like this.
  6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Ok. I will be more specific. The population from 1998-2002 increased four percent. So your rationale these babies will turn 18 between now and the next election. But using birth rate is actually inaccurate because much of the population growth in the U.S. is from immigration. The voting age population will be three-four percent larger in 2020. Since very little of that growth will be in the white population the demographics will favor the Democrats in 2020..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I think SNL made the same point in it's election night skit on how Clinton couldn't possibly lose.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's tricky and some are better than others at navigating the lip-moving.

For example, when a college football coach is asked about reports that they are interested in another school, no one is going to say, "Yes. Cross your fingers. I really hope State Tech hires me."

But some are good at avoiding the question, others good at a generic response like you can't stop talk like that from circulating, but you're focused on the Depends Undergarments Bowl, etc..

Then there are those who say, "That's BS." Maybe even challenge the reporters for bringing up such a ludicrous notion at this important time. They're not going anwywhere. They want to spend their lives at Podunk U.

Then they leave for State Tech the next day. They are the ones who really piss off the fan base.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Saw Trump tweeting about the folks pouring into DC. Can anyone think of a president who was so concerned about who all was going to come to his inauguration and what the entertainment would be?

If his official self-portrait isn't him looking in a mirror, I'll be disappointed.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Gonna miss the humility of Obama.

SpeedTchr and YankeeFan like this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Which makes it extra funny when his sycophants in the world swear up and down that Donald wouldn't want these Hollyweird celebrities at his inauguration anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.