1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Airburst over Puerto Rico.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Gov. Perry, if you're in charge of the Department of Energy, what exactly would you be in charge of?"

"Well, I'd be in charge of coal, oil, and ... uhhh ...."

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. Delegated Bernie tweet.

[​IMG]

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't think that's quite right. Perry comes across as pretty frickin' dumb -- he might be, for that matter -- but I doubt he believed the arsenal should be either managed by the states or not at all. I think he probably didn't realize that fell within the purview of the DOE.

In fact, I'm not even sure "managing" the arsenal is what the DOE does. I mean, I don't think DOE maintains custody of the weapons (or maintains them).

5. YankeeFan

How about the WaPo's headlines today.

There's this one and the one about Sonny Purdue praying for rain.

[​IMG]

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Wiki sez:

In 1946 after a long and protracted debate, the Atomic Energy Act of 1946 was passed, creating the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) as a civilian agency that would be in charge of the production of nuclear weapons and research facilities, funded through Congress, with oversight provided by the Joint Committee on Atomic Energy. The AEC was given vast powers of control over secrecy, research, and money, and could seize lands with suspected uranium deposits. Along with its duties towards the production and regulation of nuclear weapons, it was also in charge of stimulating development and regulating civilian nuclear power. The full transference of activities was finalized in January 1947.[28]

In 1975, following the "energy crisis" of the early 1970s and public and congressional discontent with the AEC (in part because of the impossibility to be both a producer and a regulator), it was disassembled into component parts as the Energy Research and Development Administration (ERDA), which assumed most of the AEC's former production, coordination, and research roles, and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, which assumed its civilian regulation activities.[29]

ERDA was short-lived, however, and in 1977 the U.S. nuclear weapons activities were reorganized under the Department of Energy,[30] which maintains such responsibilities through the semi-autonomous National Nuclear Security Administration. Some functions were taken over or shared by the Department of Homeland Security in 2002. The already-built weapons themselves are in the control of the Strategic Command, which is part of the Department of Defense.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Can't we just reallocate our nukes to local municipalities?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Isn't the lobbyist the same Trent Lott who served in Congress for decades?

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Zaphod's just this guy, you know ...

TowelWaver likes this.
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That'll solve the grizzly bear problem.

HanSenSE and cranberry like this.
  11. YankeeFan

@Dick Whitman, you're not going to want to watch this wreath laying ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery.

Trump's tie is way too long.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.