1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Nah. The whole point of the vouchers is to pour public school budget money into the pockets of cronies who are invested bigly in charter schools.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

OK, I missed that ... still, being misunderstood w.r.t. that is not a risk I'd be willing to run.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

It's just a message board. I'll live.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Half the point. The other half is to cut down on how much tax money is spent on education in any form, because the Magic Of The Marketplace will provide high quality learnin' for less.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If the home-schooling parents give their proper tithe to the teachers union a la the Illinois home health workers, I don't see why anyone would object.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My cynical, probably unhelpful suspicion is that no one will object at first because they are imagining Real Americans using Chick tracts to teach their children to stand up to evil atheist biology professors.

But sooner or later they will realize they don't have a good way to write the voucher law that isn't also paying for Welfare Queens to let their kids eat cheetos in front of the TV all day or that Muslim family who moved in down the road to presumably radicalize their kids all day.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Can a conservative here please explain to me how state spending to further religious education does not violate the Establishment clause? I'm open to a decent Constitutional argument.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This isn't political spin.

The analogy would be if Trump started a war with China by insisting Alec Baldwin is its prime minister and he was bombing them because of Baldwin's SNL impression.

And having 63 million dumbshits buy it.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Not really conservative, but there are fairly recent court rulings. Plus, hardly anyone bats an eye regarding government money towards private higher-ed.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It isn't complicated. By giving everyone a choice, no religion is being established above another. You can use that voucher to send your kid to a madrasa too.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The quick and dirty argument would be that if you turn a child's share of federal funding into a voucher, the parent can then spend that voucher at a public, religious or secular private school as they see fit, much the same way that you can use a Pell Grant at Michigan, Notre Dame or Stanford. Obviously it is a good bit more complicated than that.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Difference is that most religious colleges don't require students to practice the faith and don't shove science-denying pseudo curriculum based entirely on religion down throats. If they do, they've got to be removed from Title IV eligibility.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.