1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's one to look for next week. I'm fairly certain Trump is going to want to go to the Super Bowl. If he does, I'll bet he horns in on the trophy presentations. Patriots better win, or it could be awkward.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, but they'd do so because they "understand" journalism and those who would criticize such don't.

QYFW, Dick Whitman and Hermes like this.
  4. doctorquant

Lay out your props ... I'm game if you are, as I've still got that yard-sale money. Guy welshed on my filibuster parlay.

SnarkShark likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The thing is, these aren't simply mistakes. This is writers and editors producing stories to fit their predetermined narrative.

How it works at the NYTimes is described here:

For starters, it’s important to accept that the New York Times has always — or at least for many decades — been a far more editor-driven, and self-conscious, publication than many of those with which it competes. Historically, the Los Angeles Times, where I worked twice, for instance, was a reporter-driven, bottom-up newspaper. Most editors wanted to know, every day, before the first morning meeting: “What are you hearing? What have you got?”

It was a shock on arriving at the New York Times in 2004, as the paper’s movie editor, to realize that its editorial dynamic was essentially the reverse. By and large, talented reporters scrambled to match stories with what internally was often called “the narrative.” We were occasionally asked to map a narrative for our various beats a year in advance, square the plan with editors, then generate stories that fit the pre-designated line.

https://www.google.com/amp/deadline...finds-time-for-soul-searching-1201852490/amp/

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Maybe. I decided a long time ago that I am not qualified to be a mind-reader. You, obviously, decided differently.

Inky_Wretch, Hermes and doctorquant like this.
  7. YankeeFan

There's no doubt in my mind that he wants to go.

But, it's already been reported that he'LL likely apend that weeekend at Mar-a-Lago. (Not that he couldn't do both.)

But man, the security hassle it will be if he shows.

Shit freezes when the president moves, and getting into the Super Bowl is already a pain in the ass.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Any guesses on how long the Dow surge is going to last and to what level before overheating? 25k? 30K? Can they pump it up longer than that? I know it's foolish to try to time these things, but I was able to do it in 2008 and did very well. I'm not above swooping in and picking at the carcass after the thing blows up again. It's the only time I have an appetite for risk because I assume either the economy will rebound or we're going to be living in a Mad Max situation where cash is on fire and irrelevant. If I'm going to live through this, I might as well build up the retirement fund for the Social Security-less world. Or maybe invest in a monster truck and some guitars that shoot rockets.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Bricka bracka firecracker sis boom bah!
    Donald Trump! Donald Trump!
    Rah! Rah! Rah!

Attached Files:

10. doctorquant

I was simply broadcasting my willingness to take @Michael_ Gee's action on the "horns in" angle ...

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

Well, the previous post spells out how it works.

Then, we factor in the lack of ideological diversity and the prevalence of group think, and notice that mistakes nearly always seem to advance a liberal narrative, and it no longer becomes mind reading.

If your bank constantly made errors in tabulating your account, and every error worked in the bank's favor, eventually you'd question the bank's honesty, and not just their competency.

SpeedTchr and BTExpress like this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

During the campaign, Trump talked about the Wall Street bubble a couple of times. Now that the Dow is at 20K, the Trumpistas are crediting him with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.