1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I look forward to the folks who tracked Obama's rounds of golf and days outside of DC doing the same for Trump.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You go way too far assigning very specific, devious intentions and motivations to news organizations and politicians, and state your conjecture about virtually unknowable states of mind as fact.

3. Inky_Wretch

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My parents went to Super Bowl XVI in Pontiac, the one with the massive traffic jam, which was caused because VICE-President G.H.W. Bush attended. Guys had to file stories without quotes at the 1994 Final Four because Bill Clinton went. Presidents should let winning teams come to the White House, not the other way around.

7. Inky_Wretch

SnarkShark likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I think he can extend a go-go era quite a while with infrastructure spending while papering over long-term drawbacks to low taxes and high spending long enough to get to 2020. It's why I'm pretty sure he's going to win re-election before things crater. He's going to be G.W. Bush on steroids. Those of us opposing Trump are going to look like morons for a while as his economic cocaine juices up the markets. What does he care? He's an overweight 70-year old with a penchant for KFC and McDonald's. He's got 15 more years to worry about.

The comedown is going to be hell, though. We'll be looking at nearly 30 trillion in debt (assuming he doesn't go adventuring overseas with our military, which would then balloon that further) and have a further-decimated education system. And what will we have for it? Improved infrastructure? A giant concrete wall that we can't afford to maintain on our southern border that will cost about $3 million per mile? Cool. But China will have taken over its hemisphere. We'll have 1920s-style tariffs and trade agreements in place and an economy based in the 20th century — with hundreds of thousands of jobs Trump has political stakes in maintaining in things like coal and oil production and autoworkers who could be otherwise replaced with robotics. The Chinese have already recently opportunistically stepped in and pretended to become the global leaders in alternative energy since Trump's inauguration. While it's mostly a feigned role, they have the ability to actually follow through in a one-party state if and when it becomes viable. We'll be flat-footed.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We should check in with Paul Krugman for his prediction. His election night column has held up well:

It really does now look like President Donald J. Trump, and markets are plunging. When might we expect them to recover?

Frankly, I find it hard to care much, even though this is my specialty. The disaster for America and the world has so many aspects that the economic ramifications are way down my list of things to fear.

Still, I guess people want an answer: If the question is when markets will recover, a first-pass answer is never.

Under any circumstances, putting an irresponsible, ignorant man who takes his advice from all the wrong people in charge of the nation with the world’s most important economy would be very bad news. What makes it especially bad right now, however, is the fundamentally fragile state much of the world is still in, eight years after the great financial crisis.

Paul Krugman: The Economic Fallout

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I fear if the Mexico rhetoric continues, Mexicans will come to the construction of the border wall and start killing American workers. It's not that far-fetched of a scenario.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.