1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hey, I've been away for a lot of the day, have Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell told us yet how much they love 20 percent import taxes and how great they are for business?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Til he sings Feliz Navidad
    Feliz Navidad

FileNotFound, Inky_Wretch and Riptide like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Let me first state for the particularly partisan 'round here that I don't support this, BUT ... this thing that was floated was of a piece with the "border adjusted" taxes scheme floated a week or so ago. There's some thought that the resulting appreciation of the dollar would essentially negate the revenue effects of it. Not my area, so I don't know ... still, it's not necessarily a done deal that it's a tax increase.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Great pull.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Best. Song. Ever.

I've seen him live three or four times and it always brings down the house.

BTW ... that rendition was from "No. 2 Live Dinner," which had its 20th anniversary last year. They did a remake (at Floore's Country Store!) with all sorts of dignitaries. So if any of y'all are still looking for Christmas gifts for me ...

Big Circus, Inky_Wretch and YankeeFan like this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There's a frustrating game that the left plays with conservatives. It's an Alinksy tactic called, "Make them live up to their values." Now, living up to one's values isn't a bad thing, but setting high standards ultimately means that you'll sometimes fall short.

The left loves to exploit these shortcomings--every Christian who falls short of perfection is a hypocrite; the social values candidate you voted for just got arrested for drunk driving. Haha, everything you believe and advocate is now discredited.

They got away with it for years, waving away the lies, hypocrisy, indiscretions, and criminal behavior from their own politicians while beating the right mercilessly with the missteps of their own. It's effective because the right always maintains a baseline of integrity not displayed by the left, as evidenced by comparing what happens to Republican politicians when they're caught in criminal behavior with what happens to Democrats. Republican voters and politicians reluctantly dump the malefactor while Democrats defend their guy and launch an offensive against those who demand accountability.

And then came along Trump, a guy just ripe for demonization by the left. I think it's fair to say that even his early supporters worried that the Democrats would successfully make him toxic to the general voting public with his boorish behavior, vulgarity, multiple bankruptcies and very public divorces.

But something strange happened. Not only did Donald Trump not care about attacks on his character, neither did anyone else. We saw this new paradigm assert itself over and over during the primary throughout repeated media predictions that this time he's gone to far and he's cooked.

This same indifference that helped Trump carry the election has continued into the early days of his administration. With it comes a refreshingly freeing state of mind. Personally, I don't feel in any way responsible for Trump, nor do I feel compelled to defend him against attack.

Why? Because I voted for retribution.

Ace of Spades HQ

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dude, that's your whole playbook on here. At least respect game.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Bannon looks like a guy who drinks corn liquor from a big brown jug every night.

SpeedTchr and Ace like this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's make them live by their own rules, not values.

And nobody - especially Christians - expect perfection from flawed humans. But don't ignore the central tenants of the faith just because it means you might need to welcome more refugees rather than shutting the door in their face.

As my preacher likes to say "You should be offended if somebody who knows you has to ask if you're a Christian. They should see it in how you live and treat others." We've got a lot of proclaimers, not a lot of doers.

12. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Wasn't Joe Pesci guilty of that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.