1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Of course it is a tax increase. It is effectively a tariff and a tariff is a tax. The theoretical argument for a "border adjusted tax" is that because of the shift in exchange rates as the importing company sees its currency appreciate and/or the exporting country sees its currency depreciate will lead the importer and not the consumer to pay the tax.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think you mean the theory is that exporter (rather than the consumer) pays the tax, but your point stands.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the consumer will get fucked either way. Just like always.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know. The other day I bought a 39-inch TV with built-in Roku for $220. For $9.95 a month, I have access in the palm of my hand to almost every consequential piece of music ever recorded.

Consumers are doing all right, in s lot of ways.

RickStain likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The first casualties of protectionism and retaliatory actions by other countries will be farmers and the rural communities built around them as they lose export market share.

Ace, Inky_Wretch and Dick Whitman like this.
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Mexicans handling the produce that's sent to grocery stores nationwide are gonna be doing a really good job to make sure it's clean and they're clean and there's no chemicals on it and stuff....

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I told my 7-year-old that Americans are not going to be able to obtain avocados, tortillas, or hot sauce any more, due to the Wall.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Great example. A true biblical scholar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.