1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want a job? Work for free and send your resume in a box

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 27, 2017.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I take it everyone's OK with sending the resume in a box?

Inky_Wretch and cranberry like this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

What if JT delivers it and there's also a dick in a box?

Inky_Wretch and exmediahack like this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you what you bring to an employer can be undercut somehow by someone who will do the same job for free. ... doesn't that actually mean you are way overcompensated?

There is no such thing as "fairly" compensated. What is fair to you will probably not be fair to someone else. And what you as an employee consider fair may not be what the person who pays your wages considers fair.

In reality, the only actual fair is what two parties (employer and employee) agree to -- assuming there was no coercion involved. Nobody is forcing you to take a job. And nobody is forcing an employer to hire you and pay you a wage. If you both agree to terms for your employment. ... that is the true test of "fair" there actually is. What you agreed to should be nobody else's business.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No.

LongTimeListener and JC like this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's actually not bad to get noticed, although at least for me I've given up applying through any method other than knowing someone in the department.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

It is my business or our collective business what people make to further my self interest. Don't like the criticism or want people to know, then don't advertise your wage, or lack thereof.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. cranberry

One of the first things Marvin Miller did as executive director of the Players Association was explain to players why they should share their salary information with the union and other players. It was amazing how many players had been told they were the highest-paid players on their teams.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Collective bargaining makes great sense in certain cases. Like when you have unique, highly demanded skills. The kind of skills that baseball players have. ... and that many workers don't have.

When you try to collective bargain without the leverage that those baseball players had. ... collective bargaining isn't some magical prescription that gives you leverage you don't actually have.

10. cranberry

It makes sense for almost every level of skill, including unskilled. Numbers matter and there is cost associated with identifying, hiring, training and retaining employees. Do people with rare, high-demand skills command more? Sure.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I had two questions when I saw this thread.
    The first — Who is Darren Rovell? — I answered myself when I looked him up on Google. I'd never heard of him before and I still don't recognize his face, but I see he's won some awards and written some books.
    My second question is still unanswered — Why is he so dumb?

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't my bargaining position as an employee be improved by having equal access to information (i.e. what everybody makes at work)?

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted