1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Assuming you mean USSR and not "Russia" per se.

In 1997, with the USSR kaput, the treaty was modified, establishing Belarus, Kazakhstan, Russia and Ukraine as successor states for the purposes of the treaty.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Last thing I want to do is defend Trump, but it is misleading the way you keep characterizing this as a blanket muslim ban. The order mandates only a 90-day suspension of immigration from seven countries his administration deems terror prone. The overwhelming majority of the world's muslims do not live in those seven countries and are not impacted by the order.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    QYFW likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's true. It's still odious. Among others affected by this ban are legal permanent residents of the US who happen to be abroad right now (and are also subject to deportation under the immigration EO) and most shameful of all Iraqis who have worked with our military there and are seeking entry because they're marked men.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Thanks.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As has been pointed out, the countries on the banned list are failed states, where we can't properly vet the folks looking to leave.

And they're states that have already exported terrorists.

That's why they're on the list.

If we're diligent, we can properly vet folks from places like Saudi Arabia.

Even the San Bernardino killer could/should have been kept out, but we chose to let in a radical Muslim, who had contempt for American values, to satisfy her husband's only criteria for a potential bride -- that she wear a burqa.

6. YankeeFan

It's been widely shared that Green Card holders are subject to the ban.

That's been debunked.

But, hey #FakeNews.

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

The past few pages have been worth it, thanks to this Vandals reference.

8. YankeeFan

We're blaming Trump for the fact that these people haven't been able to immigrate here?

The Iraq war is over a decade old.

Trump's been President for a week.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Should have built Bill Clinton's metaphorical wall in the '90s when he was talking about not building it.

10. YankeeFan

This is a fun one. FOXNews said this was a joke from the get go.

But liberals shared this all over twitter, claiming/thinking it was true, and declaring it to be another humiliation.

11. YankeeFan

I'm waiting for this fake story to gain traction. It's perfectly situated for liberals to grab onto it.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This one doesn't make me angry, but it's an all-time WTF. Mitch McConnell had to talk Trump out of proposing to abolish the electoral college? I'm no McConnell fan, but for those few minutes, he has my postdated total sympathy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.