1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

BTW, lots of folks are really upset that Christian refugees, fleeing folks who would cut their head off simply for their religious beliefs, will be prioritized.

Were these some folks upset that previously, Christian refugees were not on equal footing with Muslim refugees, and if not, why not?

The United States has accepted 10,801 Syrian refugees, of whom 56 are Christian. Not 56 percent; 56 total, out of 10,801. That is to say, one half of one percent. The BBC says that ten percent of all Syrians are Christian, which would mean 2.2 million Christians. It is quite obvious, and President Obama and Secretary Kerry have acknowledged it, that Middle Eastern Christians are an especially persecuted group.

So how is it that one half of one percent of the Syrian refugees we’ve admitted are Christian, or 56, instead of about 1,000 out of 10,801–or far more, given that they certainly meet the legal definition? The definition: someone who “is located outside of the United States; Is of special humanitarian concern to the United States; Demonstrates that they were persecuted or fear persecution due to race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group.” Somewhere between a half million and a million Syrian Christians have fled Syria, and the United States has accepted 56. Why?

“This is de facto discrimination and a gross injustice,” Nina Shea, who is director of the Hudson Institute’s Center for Religious Freedom, told Fox News. Fox notes another theory: that the United States takes refugee referrals from the UN refugee camps in Jordan and there are no Christians there.

Pressure Points » The United States Bars Christian, Not Muslim, Refugees From Syria

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Maybe if those Syrian kids crawled back into the womb, the nice white Christians on my timeline would give a damn about them.

3. YankeeFan

Again, while I'm sure their was some confusion in the initial hours after the EO was signed, but before the text was widely circulated, Green Card holders are not subject to the ban.

Here's what Qatar Airways is telling passengers from the nations on the listL

Qatar Airways has advised passengers flying to the US from seven newly banned majority Muslim countries that they needed to have either a US green card or diplomatic visa.

The statement said: "Nationals of the following countries: Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Yemen ... may travel to the US only if they are in possession of a permanent resident card or any of the below visas."

It listed foreign government, United Nations, international organisation and NATO visas.

Qatar Airways: Passengers 'must have green card'

4. YankeeFan

It's funny too, when the "Muslim ban" was first brought up, folks freaked out, saying that allies like King Hussein would be banned as a result.

But, as you see from this EO, it's quite easy to exempt holders of diplomatic passports from the ban.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Honest question. Assuming you're talking about Facebook, why are you "friends" with such people?

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You're really losing it, man.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I'm really angry that Obama handed Egypt over to a terrorist organization like the Muslim Brotherhood, but then again: We totally trust the Brotherhood to stop the extremists from coming to the United States.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Even Trump isn't stupid enough to generally ban holders of a diplomatic passport.

I don't think. Lord knows I have been wrong many times before in sentences that began "Even Trump wouldn't...".

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It is odd how "pro-life" attitudes end right after birth for a lot of folks. Pro-life should include pro-healthcare so once the kid is born they can be kept healthy.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Fuck off. Seriously. What about Muslims of a different sect, who have been killed in far greater numbers during this shit?

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I wouldn't necessarily defend the logic of a lot of pro-lifers I know, but they aren't coming from a place of hate. It's an emotionally confusing issue.

12. YankeeFan

Have you followed the news out of Egypt in the last year or so?

The Muslim Brotherhood isn't in charge anymore.

QYFW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.