1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The idea that people of a certain religion would be "prioritized" over people of another religion, in any aspect of American policy, should be fucking startling--to everyone.

OscarMadison, Iron_chet, Ace and 7 others like this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm a white Christian from the South, so that's going to be an oversampled group among my friends and family. I didn't say I hated them, and I don't, although I hate the things some of them support. (A lot of the truly racist/reprehensible ones have been weeded out by the unfollow button in the days and weeks after the election.)

I myself am imperfectly pro-life. But even if it becomes illegal at sunrise tomorrow, I don't think it would end or sharply curtail abortions. Instead it would drive them underground, with disasterous health consequences.

In my heart, I don't believe abortions will go away until there is a change in heart and mindset in this country. And I don't think that is going to happen until the pro-life movement adopts a radically different attitude of genuine care and concern and earns the respect of people on the other side so that they may feel safe sharing their stories and fears in the still, small moments. But that takes a lot of time and not a little money and worse doesn't serve the ends of politicians who find abortion a useful bullwhip to drive voters to the polls while pretending to, in the words of Don Miller "give a crap about the cause of Christ."

Ace, Riptide, service_gamer and 4 others like this.
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They're pretty close in America over the last decade or so. Last time I counted it up, Islamic terrorism was beating right-wing non-Islamic terrorism in that time frame, but it wasn't a blowout.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm more weirded out by Pentecostal women in ankle-length dresses and Walmart sweatshirts than a burqa. And aside from the face covering, their outfits serve the same purpose.

Iron_chet likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"The International Rescue Committee said the suspension of the refugee resettlement program was a "harmful and hasty" decision. "America must remain true to its core values. America must remain a beacon of hope," said IRC President David Miliband.

The group said the U.S. vetting process for refugees is already robust -- involving biometric screening and up to 36 months of vetting by 12 to 15 government agencies.

Jan Egeland, the head of the Norwegian Refugee Council, said Trump's decision hurts innocents fleeing extremist violence in Syria.

"It will not make America safer," Egeland told The Associated Press in a phone interview from Norway. "It will make America smaller and meaner. It's a really sad rupture of a long and proud American bi-partisan tradition that America would be there for those fleeing from terror and for the weak and the vulnerable in the world, which are the refugees."

The NRC is a leading refugee aid agency, assisting more than 1 million Syrians."

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Hasn't that been de facto the case for a long time, though?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Are there dangers in explicit acts that dont exist in implicit acts?

SnarkShark likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Sure it has, but we still prided ourselves on at least trying to be fair. In many cases we did a decent job of it, and reprimanded or shamed those who showed open prejudice.

That was back when dinosaurs roamed the earth though.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Need a HuffPo or ThinkProgress citation if you really want full credit.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think you're misinterpreting what I was asking. Given the contours of long-standing immigration policy w.r.t. who can legitimately claim refugee status, isn't it inevitable that some religions will be "prioritized" over others?

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dept. of Homeland Security confirms entry ban on those seven countries applies to legal permanent residents who happen to be abroad, according to Reuters.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The only reason the Republicans need is to shit on Muslims and signify their contempt for them. That's all this is about.

Smallpotatoes and cranberry like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.