1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I understand the humanitarian crisis aspect of things, but I also understand that a significant segment of followers of that religion is wreaking global havoc right now. I'm not sure why we should take on the risk. In very simple terms, they need to clean up their own house.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

YF is already on record saying people should be forced to "Westernize" and assimilate completely into "our" culture in order to live here.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Come on, man. Paris. Orlando. San Bernardino. Nice. They aren't randomly being singled out here.

QYFW and SnarkShark like this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Charleston. Oklahoma City. Newtown. Why not single out white men, too?

HanSenSE and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

I forgot to add that the three atrocities cited by Dick were not committed by persons whose countries of origin are covered in the ban.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because it benefits us far more than it hurts us. The brain gain alone is more than enough to justify the minute risk, which we already take significant steps to reduce.

This is an entirely symbolic act with no likely improvement in safety from terrorism, and the symbolism is "fuck mooslims, unless they come from a country that Donald trump does business with."

Iron_chet likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

That's the deal here. If you're as frightened of Muslim terrorists as some are, this act is inadequate. If you're not, it's an indecency.

Jssst21 and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Do I need to post the Islam survey again?

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd just like to know how the "extreme vetting" is going to catch more terrorists than before.

It's almost as of some people believe our policy before was just to ask everyone, "Are you a terrorist?" and deport only the people who said "Yes."

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You really like countries with a tight grip on the reins, don't you?

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I don't trust any survey when there is extreme social pressure to answer a certain way. That's not saying attitudes don't exist, but there are some large issues with those surveys.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.