1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hope she doesn't leave the country before the baby is born. She might not be allowed back in.

TyWebb likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

She's from Romania, and her family fled Communist persecution.

The President you're thinking of is President Obama, who just ended the Cuban "wet foot-dry foot" policy. Cubans fleeing Communist rule are no longer welcome if they reach our shores.

3. TheSportsPredictor

No, I'm thinking of refugees and Trump. Cubans remain welcome with visas.

4. YankeeFan

LOL. Yeah, I'm sure Castro will be thrilled to grant a visa to folks looking to flee his murderous, dictatorial regime.

5. YankeeFan

Doesn't look like Green Card holders are "banned".

I'm not sure why questioning them is out of line.

Holders of multiple entry visas are not permanent residents:

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Cocaine?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Got 93 seconds in ... that dude is whacked out of his fucking gourd.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I held on for 15 seconds.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

There you go again without qualifying the Christian refugees you're talking about in UN camps or arriving in America. I could be a pedantic motherfucker and cite you back to the source I did before that shows there are nearly as many Christians coming into the U.S. on refugee status as Muslims and that 2016 was the first year where Christians didn't outnumber Muslims.

To answer your question: I don't have a theory. It's not my area of expertise. But your own source cited the treatment of Christians in the U.N. camps accepting Syrian refugees as only one of the causes, indicating their are others. The source your source cherry picked for that idea also quoted other experts indicating that additional causes include Syrian Christians choosing to head to urban areas, such as Beirut, instead of going to the Jordanian refugee camps, which are the ones you seem to be hung up on, as another significant factor.

I suspect that it is a complex problem that is multi-faceted. I also suspect that there are systemic problems with how the U.N. is handling refugees that could be addressed that would even out the results.

What I know is that giving Christian refugees a priority in the waiting line - as our president has said we will do - is walking dangerously close to crossing the separation of church and state protections that we understand the Establishment Clause to provide. There is perhaps a strong argument to give Syrian Christians a jump on the line because of the particular level of persecution they are facing there. But a decision to prioritize Syrian Christians has significant political ramifications in that part of the world that might justify caution.

10. TheSportsPredictor

He's not unsure:

11. TheSportsPredictor

You actually watched some of it??

Songbird likes this.
  12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The Department of Homeland Security disagrees with you.

Green card holders included in Trump ban: Homeland Security

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.