1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Thinking Christian=conservative is just as bad as the line of thinking that says Moslems=bad people. Not all people can be lumped into the same handy portable container.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If a sermon discussed both opposing abortion and the need to take in refugees, that would blow some minds around here.

Inky_Wretch and doctorquant like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, that'd be a real snap-n-pop of a sermon!

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, Trump picked the countries on the list based on where he does, and doesn't, do business? Right? Right?

I read it on the internet, so it must be true. I even saw people here say so.

Fucking idiots -- it's Obama's list:

How, though, did the Trump administration choose these seven Muslim-majority countries? The truth is it didn't: The countries were chosen during Barack Obama's presidency.

According to the draft copy of Trump's executive order, the countries whose citizens are barred entirely from entering the United States is based on a bill that Obama signed into law in December 2015.

Obama signed the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act as part of an omnibus spending bill. The legislation restricted access to the Visa Waiver Program, which allows citizens from 38 countries who are visiting the United States for less than 90 days to enter without a visa.

Though outside groups such as the American Civil Liberties Union and NIAC Action — the sister organization of the National Iranian American Council — opposed the act, the bipartisan bill passed through Congress with little pushback.

At the initial signing of the restrictions, foreigners who would normally be deemed eligible for a visa waiver were denied if they had visited Iran, Syria, Sudan or Iraq in the past five years or held dual citizenship from one of those countries.

In February 2016, the Obama administration added Libya, Somali and Yemen to the list of countries one could not have visited — but allowed dual citizens of those countries who had not traveled there access to the Visa Waiver Program. Dual citizens of Syria, Sudan, Iraq and Iran are still ineligible, however.

Songbird likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Thanks. That was just my attempt at a call-back joke. But for real, YF is probably a better spinner than anyone in the administration.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I have to say, if this shit's going to devolve into both @RickStain and @Alma quoting Scripture, I'm going to see if I can jack up my donation to Herself's campaign retrospectively ...

Iron_chet, RickStain and QYFW like this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'll bet some evangelical sermons do just that tomorrow morning. And that's OK by me. It's consistent with their faith.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Love a good police report but someone no doubt will claim #fakenews

10. JohnHammond

HuffPo, Salon, and Slate still wouldn't cut back on the sanctimony.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Were they banned because of where they were coming from, or because of their religion?

12. JohnHammond

Neutral Corner owns the exclusive position rights to months'-old stories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.