1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One thing that has happened this weekend that isn't getting enough attention is that for the first time in my memory, elected Democrats are acting as if they're a little afraid of their base (people like me). I think it started with the Women's March and this weekend tore it. The electeds are seeing that failure to resist Trump at every turn could be bad for their political health. We go from Sen. Warren voting to confirm Ben Carson to her standing at Logan Airport last night. I think any chance of Trump and Congressional Republicans getting bipartisan fig leafs for their legislation is dead. The McConnell total obstruction strategy has been forced on the Democrats.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Prediction: Obstruction will become a good thing.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Their base is actually blue collar midwesterners, and they are now Trump supporters.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Such as when Trump tweeted it? Gotcha.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Link?

7. Michael_ Gee

No Dick, that hasn't been true for decades. The Democratic base is primarily people of color and single women. BTW, if all the blue collar Midwesterners are gone, how do we explain Illinois?

8. Dick Whitman

Chicago.

9. Michael_ Gee

So how is Chicago so much more influential than Detroit, Cleveland or Milwaukee? Or Philadelphia AND Pittsburgh for that matter.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Where's the religious test? The executive order talks about "religious minorities" -- you know, people who might be subject to persecution from the majority. This is normal to give such folks precedence in applying for refugee status.

Bill de Blasio was on CNN this morning with Jake Tapper, and said the EO specifically made exceptions for folks who "were not Muslim".

Well, as Tapper pointed out to him, it -- of course -- doesn't say that, and could be interpreted to allow members of Muslim minority sects to qualify.

Trump's business ties are unprecedented in a president, but he's given up more control in his business than Michael Bloomberg did in his when he served as Mayor of New York -- and owning a news organization might be viewed as a bit of a conflict!

Even the whole tax returns is a phony story. His personal tax returns would not show us what pundits keep saying they would. You would need his business records.

Teaming up with Mother Russia. JFC. DOn't make me play @BTExpress. If we team with them do defeat ISIS, is that bad? Different than teaming with them in WWII to defeat the Nazis?

Obama and Kerry already turned Syria over to them, allowed them to annex Crimea, and occupy the Eastern portion of Ukraine.

But, Trump is soft on them?

Trump has flattered Putin, no doubt. That's his m.o. Let's see how it works out.

They spoke yesterday, and there's no indication that Trump is dropping sanctions without something in return -- despite what @Starman predicted.

11. Dick Whitman

There are 3 million people in Chicago. Half of them are poor blacks and Mexicans. The other half are yuppie selfie takers who want to turn it into Brooklyn.

I Should Coco and YankeeFan like this.
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He talks about religious minorities exclusively in countries where Muslims are the majority. That means Christianity! I know you aren't this stupid to ignore what "America First" means historically or to see what this language means. So stop with the bullshit.

I also don't know what the mayor of New York has to do with the emoluments clause in the Constitution.

And being friendly with Russia ... I can't even start with that.

You're pathetic. You have just decided whatever this ass-clown does is just fine with you because he beat the woman you hate with all your mind and heart. And you are supporting a racist, anti-Semitic authoritarian movement that doesn't care about anyone except white people who voted for them.

It's an ugly, ugly thing from you. An idiot like QYFW, I expect it from people like that. I don't expect you to be this awful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.