1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Interesting. And I'm starting to understand it more. These are people so disenchanted, they just wanted to knock it all down and start again. And they're getting what they want. No protocols, no assumptions, no inertia. I'm explaining to my kids & students, that as awful and frightening as this is, and as disastrous as it will almost certainly end up, it is historic and unprecedented in its unpredictability. No one knows anything, and any one-time expert is guessing no less than me or you. So even those who aren't naturally interested in politics want to pay attention.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If ever a movie howled to the heavens to be remade with a modern all-star cast, it's "A Face In The Crowd."

It'll never happen now, because people are Being Careful.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm no Trump supporter, but shit like this grows tiresome. Team Trump fucked this up mainly because of how they went about it. Note that I'm not saying I'm hunky-dory with what Team Trump did. Rather, I'm simply pointing to the fact that the President is afforded enormous latitude when it comes to such stuff, so long as proper procedures are followed. It is clear that these weren't followed -- c.f., the green card cluster-fuck -- which, in a way, is a good thing, because that means this is mostly going to be swept aside by the courts.

But we shouldn't have been surprised by his trying to do it because, listen carefully, it's exactly what he said he was going to do! I'm sitting here reading my fresh issue of Time and there it is at the end of the paragraph on immigration -- "He is also set to sign a temporary ban on most refugee resettlement in the U.S. and a block on any new visas for citizens of some Muslim-majority nations like Syria and Iraq."

As for all of this race war! Armageddon! nonsense ... well. Of late I'm very partial to the work of the guy at Slate Star Codex. He says it pretty well:

SnarkShark likes this.
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It will all work out. / YF

TowelWaver likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yep, and a long history of Democrats like Link, Sinner, Burdick, Dorgan and Conrad. Even the GOP guvs like Allen Olson were moderates. The current guv is a fruitcake.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing the big difference between what you said and what I said.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Yep.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

How far are we from new Alien and Sedition Acts?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wait, we're back to taking Trump literally again instead of figuratively?

Iron_chet and TowelWaver like this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Uh, no, it probably isn't -- as a constitutional issue between the executive and judicial branches, it will probably end up at SCOTUS, which by that time Fucko will have in his hip pocket.

11. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Trump is apparently a lot like the Old Testament. Some parts you take at face value, some you don't.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, although they might. The Supreme Court has an institutional interest in maintaining the power of the judiciary. If Trump ignores court orders, a Democratic President would do the same. They don't want that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.