1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And you don't?

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I've lived in Alberta since 2002. There are a vocal minority of wing nuts but the ethos here really seems to be work hard play hard.

The city I live in is a city of internal and external immigrants. We have a (probably gay) Muslim mayor who is super popular and the last provincial election gave us an NDP govt which whole left leaning, are more centrists.

Of course when most are getting fat, dumb and happy off of the energy industry it buries a lot of potential racial tension.

My preconceived notions of Alberta went out the window once I moved here.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

LOL.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It's all relative. In Alberta their conservatism probably falls slightly to the left of someone like, say, Lloyd Bentsen in the States. Or maybe Jim Webb.

Iron_chet likes this.
  5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Last post on Quebec.

The govt there mandated that there could be no overt religious symbols worn by anyone in the public service.

I think it is widely ignored but you had cases of Sikh doctors being told they could not wear a turban.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No, but someone I follow must have retweeted him. And where else could I share that but here?

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Quite a bit of good info here already. I think the biggest reason for this is that the foundational argument in favor of Quebec separatism is that Quebecois (and really, only Francophone Quebecois) constitute a homogenous society that was forcibly grafted into a heterogenous society (Canada) that is corrosive to their culture and interests. Well, the problem with that is the presence of visible minorities who have no particular cultural stake in a separate Quebec disproves that theory (and normally doesn't vote for them).

As was noted, then-Premier Jacques Perizeau, speaking without notes and possibly soused-up, infamously blamed "money and the ethnic vote" for the Non side's narrow loss (about 1 percent or roughly 55,000 votes out of 4.75 million cast) in the 1995 referendum. Urban Montreal and the areas of Western Quebec bordering Ottawa (so, probably the most diverse parts of the province) were heavily federalist. Quebec City was majority nationalist (though the tepid support "Oui" got there might have been the difference).

Inky_Wretch and Iron_chet like this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Why does Spencer have a frog emoji in his Twitter name? Is it a reference to a Québécois slur?

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That's a reference to Pepe, a badly-drawn frog meme that was adopted as an alt-right symbol during the campaign.

10. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Fine. It's all Trump. He's this unAmerican, obtuse, and reckless all on his own.

11. HanSenSE

Don't know if this is real or not, but either way ...

[​IMG]

12. HanSenSE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.