1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah he just might be a blood-sucking sadist for all time.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The execution, as you say, and the salesmanship, are terrible. I feel like there is some way to sell a responsible "extreme vetting" program to the American people by even-handedly explaining some reasonable points, and implementing it in a calm, responsible, visibly humane manner. Instead, it's crisis and panic mode, all the time, on every issue. This is Bannon's first time pitching his worldview to anything other than a enthusiastically receptive audience, and it has showed.

That said, for all I know, the administration's approval ratings could go up this round. The liberals who are hacked off are really, really hacked off. But I'm not convinced that voters outside that new Democratic base are particularly disturbed.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Donald Trump explains why there wasn't a lick of planning for this.

This kind of thinking is fucking nuts.

Repeat: Nuts.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

There already is an extreme vetting process for refugees. "60 Minutes" re-aired a piece last night showing how — and how long — the vetting process works. Trump's latest Tweet is, at best, misinformation. People just can't fly in from those countries in under a week's notice.

Ace likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Donny J didn't write the first sentence of that tweet.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A long process doesn't mean it's good.

8. Dick Whitman

I understand that. I don't mean to imply that there isn't. But if there is a distinction between the current vetting process and what Trump plans to implement, it seems long past time for him to articulate it instead of leaning on a buzz phrase.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Sure he did. No hyphen between "one" and "week" is the dead giveaway.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Maybe that was the problem:

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They started the Moslem Ban with the traditional Friday afternoon bad news dump timing. Not only was it poorly thought out, the people who were to execute it were not instructed in the details. Tons of confusion, people hassled for no reason, everyone on both sides stressed hard. Hell, the Secretary of Homeland Security wasn't consulted or notified.

They are pounding the drum that only 109 people were arrested. How many thousands were turned back, not allowed off the plane? How many more are worried sick about family members who were traveling being able to return home? This has hit everyone from NBA players to filmmakers coming to the Oscars to university professors, not simply kept out dubious refugees.

Hell, my niece's husband is worried sick about traveling out of the country. He's legal, and from England for God's sake, and still uncertain that he won't get screwed around somehow.

This has been a public relations nightmare and a clusterfuck of massive proportions.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Good or not (and I happen to think it's been effective), my point was that Trump is acting as if there is no vetting process in place and that there isn't an 18-month wait for refugees to go through, per his last Tweet. That's just a lie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.