1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The bar has been set at 3 million fraudulent votes.

Most of the people who actually study elections put the number of illegal votes much closer to 0 than to 3 million.

Numbers of criminal cases against illegal voting back that up.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not trying to go all Starman here, but writers need to be very, very careful. If your bio says you represent the organization you work for, you probably need to keep the personal political thoughts to a minimum. I have taken all information about my employer off my personal social media accounts for that very reason.

Ace likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You are responding to another imaginary post.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This may be semantics, but I don't think of improper votes as equaling illegal votes. The latter implies intent. The former doubtless happens because of the law of large numbers.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Should we boycott L.L. Bean because one member of the family that owns the company supports Trump?

It seems he wanted to impose rules/penalties on others that he didn't want to live by.

Makes it hard to be too sympathetic.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You woke up on the dumb side of the bed this morning.

Stoney likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

I put the number much closer to zero than 3 million.

8. YankeeFan

Did the guy ever tweet about football?

LongTimeListener likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Being boycotted by a customer and being fired by an employer are totally the same thing!

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I would say I'd ask this respectfully, but I'm done with respect. Who gives a fuck anymore what people like YF think about anything? Haven't we reached some point where, if people want to be trolls or willfully obtuse or just plain dumb, we say, Okay, you're part of the problem, and I no longer give a fuck about you and what you think? I feel like for too long we've indulged dumb people and in doing so have given them the impression that they are smart, when everybody knows, except them, that they are not. You know what? Their opinion doesn't matter. It sure as shit matters a lot less than those of experts (not "elites," but smart people who understand how facts work and listen to reason), and if they want to live in their little fantasy worlds, told what they want to hear by FOX and fucking lowlifes like Ann fucking Coulter, then let them. But they should no longer be given a single reason to think they have any purview over the rest of our lives. I remember when I was covering John McCain, someone at a town hall told him to "Audit the Fed," which was the dumb-right cry of the time, and McCain had heard enough of that shit. He was like, "Do you even know what that means? What does 'audit' mean in that sentence? And what does the Fed do? Do you have any idea?" And the guy stammered for about thirty seconds and then sat down. We need these gobshites to be dismissed just like that, and then, unburdened of their idiocy, the rest of us can get on with the globe-critical work of stopping tyrants in their tracks, punching Nazis, and making sure the world doesn't melt.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And, maybe, doing a bit of the spell-check ...

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I have no reason to believe the number is zero. I also have no reason to believe it affected the result of the election one way or the other. We're not talking about 537 votes here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.