1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You guys show me the country that will let you immigrate there, and become a burden on the system.

Stipulation that you don't already hold citizenship, and aren't a refugee, asylum seeker, or Jew immigrating to Israel?

Which country allows this? Any? Or is Austria the outlier?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Depending on the circumstances, yes it can and, under Bannon, likely be unreasonable. Some guy busting his chops as a dishwasher applying for food stamps or single mom working as a hotel maid getting HUD assistance with housing should be deported?

Also, too, under Obama when folks pointed out how things are done in the rest of the world other people said we shouldn't care about how they do things. I guess now we should?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ok. That's reasonable, but I'm not wearing a uniform with short pants and a fedora with a feather.

4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Has this been a huge problem in America? I honestly don't know. How much am I affected by these immigrants? Again, I really don't know.

5. YankeeFan

I hate to be a dick... really I do, but if they're not a refugee, or asylum seeker, what is our interest in allowing folks who's job skills are limited to dishwashing or changing bed sheets?

Why would we allow them to both move here, and then subsidize them? We have poor people already, and folks who are out of work, who are qualified to do that work.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Would this list include working immigrants with green cards who do not receive any kind of government assistance?

I apologize for being lazy and not reading LTL's link.

7. YankeeFan

Well, if it's not an issue, then I guess no one will get deported as a result of any change, right?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

YF, you should read that story -- it quotes the Cato Institute guy saying economists overwhelmingly agree that illegal immigration is a net gain for our economy.

franticscribe and RickStain like this.
  9. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

All I asked is if this is really a problem. I have always read that immigration is a positive for our country's economy. Of course some of the immigrants don't look like you or Steve Bannon so I guess I can see where you are coming from.

10. YankeeFan

Yes. Docquant has made this argument to me.

Wouldn't it be a greater net gain if we didn't allow folks who were a burden on the system to remain?

Either way, we could have the same number of immigrants -- maybe even many of the very same immigrants -- under a new system that just properly vetted, and tracked them.

We should know who's in our country. We shouldn't allow a permanent underclass who are taken advantage of by employers due to their status, don't have full rights, and are afraid to report crimes.

No one -- ok, very few people -- is against immigration. We don't have to lose the benefits that new immigrants bring simply because we enforce our borders, and force folks whose visas have expired to leave.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Math has a well-known liberal bias and can't be trusted.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

CPB in several places still refusing to comply with court orders.

Which is the kind of thing that happens when you elect a fascist.

Ace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.