1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Are you trying to make a point, or do you believe it's a good thing to have a permanent underclass, that can be exploited.

It's like you're trying to hang this around my neck. Sorry, I don't think people are entitled to illegal nannies, cheap kitchen labor, or lettuce pickers earning next to nothing.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, consumer goods cost less, as does food.

Illegal immigration is hardly a net drain on America. Nice little boon. That's why the GOP has kicked the can down the road over and over. It doesn't give a shit; rich people make out real nice exploiting illegal labor.

This issue speaks directly to the middle class ex-Democrat. Directly to em. Trump did, that is. That's how he won the election.

Democrats lost it by ignoring these folks to make sure bathroom etiquette was squared away and weed is getting legalized in a few places.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is what the "white working class" wants. Welfare state for them, persecution for non-whites. I put WWC in quotes because it's of course not true of all of them, but it's being used as a shorthand for "white bigots" which you can't say in print or TV because they get. Many of Trump's most devoted and bigoted supporters are well-off.

dixiehack likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Someone, somewhere, who doesn't look like me, is getting away with something they don't deserve.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I say this in all sincerity. I truly don't give a shit about where a person was born. This world is becoming more and more global.

I don't know why Obama did what he did, but Cubans bust their asses and I would take as many as we could get.

6. YankeeFan

I agree 100%. I've never argued anything else.

And, I don't blame people who have come here illegally.

I'm for immigration. But, the compassionate thing would be to ensure that new immigrants had the means to support themselves, and not face exploitation.

I mean for goodness sake, you've followed the Times stories on nail salon workers, right:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/...anicurists-are-underpaid-and-unprotected.html

We should allow this kind of system to operate in the name of compassion?

How about sex workers? You think a huge percentage of the women in this field aren't immigrants, who were taken advantage off? Am I supposed to be thrilled by the prospect of massages with a happy ending, because it shows what a compassionate nation we are?

And, hey, aren't we being compassionate when we let the Muslim immigrant import a burqa wearing bride, who never leaves the home, and can't speak to anyone other than her husband, and her husband's female relatives?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I do not believe it's good to have a permanent underclass, no.

I do not believe people should be entitled to those things, either.

I do believe that the GOP didn't much care about the issue - for years! - precisely it is not bothered by a permanent underclass it can and does exploit.

Yes, I think major immigration reform is needed. Have for years.

Yes, I think a wall causes more trouble than it's worth.

Yes, I think a lot of Democrats support illegal immigration because they like how that makes them look on social media and to their peers without having one whit of an idea what the implications are - including a permanent underclass that is exploited.

Yes, I think it's ironic that conservatives now rail against it.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's it. That's it right there.

I have a cousin who has been on disability from the railroad for about 15 years now due to a bad back that keeps him from working. Same bad back doesn't affect his playing golf four days per week or flying an ultralight. He constantly gripes about the lazy inner-city folks who are on welfare.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How about a compromise? Require abortions for U.S. citizens if they are on any kind of government assistance but let anyone who wants to come here come legally.

That work?

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't have a huge problem with immigration reform. Anything involving mass deportations outside of criminals (beyond the act of being here) is a terrible idea.

cranberry and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The only true experience is that of a liberal. The rest is just anecdotal nonsense.

12. YankeeFan

Yes, yes.

I'm positively furious when an Hispanic man has the great opportunity to work in the fields all day picking lettuce at a less than living wage.

I get so jealous of the Asian women, who have had their passport taken away by their employer, who work in a nail salon, or a massage parlor, getting to keep a fraction of the money they bring in, while doing work that is hard at best, and humiliating, and mentally destructive at worst.

When a woman from the Caribbean has the opportunity to change bed sheets all day, I get outraged.

When an Hispanic woman is lucky enough to serve as a live in maid/nanny for a family, it burns me up.

If only I, or a member of my family, could be blessed with such opportunities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.