1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's some of the sentiment.

But I think it's reductive and easy to put it on racism.

I know a few liberals who love the idea of diversity and plurality. Just love it.

Especially they love how supporting it makes them look superior to others.

Never underestimate a white liberal's ability to appropriate the culture of others for the sake of seeming cooler or more enlightened.

But if you tried to take an opportunity away from their kid - you might see that magnanimous demeanor drop just a lil bit. Hell, I've seen it.

QYFW likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A. Then we aren't very far apart on the issue.

2. You shouldn't lump all republicans/conservatives in together. Many of us have been very frustrated with big business -- and the Chamber of Commerce, and the National Restaurant Association -- who have taken a stand on immigration that is against what many of us believe, and paid for the support of those in Congress and the White House.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

On some level, he's right. He is. That's some of it.

Our nation is so deprived of kindness, grace and belonging that a chunk of Americans look wistfully upon those kinds of jobs. It looks like something more than the nothing they've got.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe get out of the house sometime and share your anecdotal nonsense.

5. YankeeFan

If republicans hadn't traded amnesty for border security in the past, only to see the amnesty enacted, and the border security ignored, the issue wouldn't be so contentious.

I think most would still make the same deal again, as long as the border security came first, and a wall is the physical representation of this end of the bargain being fulfilled.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What an ass-kicking. ... Trump's head explode yet?

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I took part in an advocacy day today for individuals with developmental disabilities. During lunch, one after another would come up and just start telling us about themselves, their lives, etc. It was refreshing to see people who were so happy to talk to other people.

Machine Head, Iron_chet and Ace like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I didn't say we were very far apart on the issue.

You know why I lump y'all together? Because, until Trump, y'all lump voted according to whatever Fox News and 501 Koch-funded ads told y'all to do, and, post-Trump, most of these neeknobs in Congress have nothing to say about the bull-in-the-Oval-Office shitshow of incompetence Trump and his team have produced thus far.

Sorry.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There are two kinds of immigrants in my town. Asians who're in the medical or high-tech professions, make big money and moved here for our public schools, which are among the best in the US, and Hispanic guys (and a few gals) who don't live here, but work for landscaping services and in restaurants. Oddly enough, all of them seem damn cheerful about their lots in life, despite the economic disparity. I don't think any of those old white fucks in Hazleton, Pa. are moving here to work the line at our local Italian restaurant or to plant shrubs eight hours a day. Steve Bannon actually hates the former of immigrants worse than the latter, because he can't look down on them because they're poor.
    The core of Trump's supports wants a country where only white people have all the rights of the Constitution. That's the whole story. The economic crap is just a fable they tell themselves and the media repeats because it's unpleasant to think a significant minority of this country is made up of horrible people who're the ones we really should deport.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That made me feel good to read that.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That's awesome, and I agree with you. So what's the plan to enforce laws against businesses that hire undocumented immigrants?

12. YankeeFan

Illegal immigrants have it so great. Everyone should have a chance to experience the conditions they live in.

Reminds me of Lincoln's quote about slavery:

"Whenever I hear any one arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."

Who among us wouldn't want this life for ourselves, or one of our family members?

Wouldn't we all encourage a relative overseas to come here, and work in a nail salon, or a massage parlor, a motel, or lettuce field?

We would be lacking in compassion if we didn't encourage this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.