1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

These people of which you guys speak are not our leaders nor are they our decision makers. They are stupid people.

FileNotFound likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I believe it was 100 miles east of Pittsburgh, which is in the direction of Washington D.C.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think the President is finding it's harder to make great deals when you don't have the negotiating leverage of a multi-billion dollar corporation at your back. Unlike the architect or plumber who does work for his company and is forced to take half of the agreed-upon price or spend years and dollars in court to recoup their losses, the Congress has rules in place that take away a lot of the President's leverage to bully them into capitulation. And he's also dealing with politicians whose egos may even be a match for his own and nobody wants to come out of this looking weak.

A President who thinks he can bark orders and won't work with the legislative branch is a President destined to fail.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On the other hand, there should of course be hearings for the nominee, so that Democrats can ask pertinent questions such as "what is your stance on the Emoluments Clause?"
    PS: Back in October, Republican Senators Burr and Cruz vowed that the GOP would not vote on any nominee submitted by Clinton if she was elected. So fuck rolling over for them. At some point, self-respect means punching back as hard as you can.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"I cannot comment on a hypothetical case. I would have to have the actual case and controversy before me."

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just ask him to explain it on the record. A little lesson in constitutional law from an expert, available in video form for campaign commercials.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

This one didn't. I'm shocked he got away with it.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Article doesn't quote even an anonymous source, and doesn't attribute the info to a WH source, just people "familiar with the President's decision process."

We are given no way to assess the sources' likelihood to possess the information they claim to have.

And, if the reporter(s) were lied to by a WH source, there's an easy fix: identify them. They lied, you no longer need to honor your end of the deal.

President Donald Trump’s two top finalists for the U.S. Supreme Court were summoned to Washington ahead of his prime-time announcement that will set up a confirmation showdown with Senate Democrats.

Trump is expected to select one of two federal appeals court judges, either Neil Gorsuch of Denver or Thomas Hardiman of Pittsburgh, and each was asked to go to Washington on Tuesday, according to people familiar with the president’s decision process. Trump says he will announce his choice at 8 p.m. Washington time.Qrasq

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

CNN's story did attribute to the White House. Basically, what we have here is a stupid, petty and childish game of "gotcha" being played by a White House obsessed with the media.

10. outofplace

Once again, your lack of understanding of journalism shines through. There are many problems with the statement in bold. One, we don't know for sure who is lying here. Two, that person is still a White House source and may still have value in the future even if they screwed up on this one. Three, there is merit to sticking to your word even when others fail to do so, if only to show others you can be trusted.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  11. outofplace

Exactly, and we have the very silly idea that Spicer's word could possibly serve as evidence given the damage he has already done to his own credibility. I'm not saying it is a shock anyone in his position would lie. What stands out is the willingness to tell such an outrageous lie about something so trivial.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Spicer doesn't have to prove a negative.

If Harriman was spotted in Washington, that's on a reporter to confirm. Right until the announcement was made the cable networks were reporting that Harriman was in the White House.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.