1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You can send it now. We talked about this a few pages back. My inbox only accepts from people who I affirmatively "follow." It was because someone kept signing up with new names to spam me a couple years ago, and I never have been able to switch it back.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What it is about Bowling Green anyways? They don't have a bowling team and their uniforms aren't green.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's a damn massacre, is what it is.

TowelWaver likes this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bowling green

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I haven't made a treadmill joke in a while. Can I be reinstated, or should I just ask Jones your Twitter handle?

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

First of all, this is not a real response.

Second, are you talking about Obama and the Washington TIMES? Because that was during Obama's campaign - and he didn't "revoke" shit.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

The inexperience is a problem. When you have comparative lit grad students writing in-depth science articles, you know issues are going to creep up. Or reporters who focus on capital punishment and don't understand context contained in legal opinions. That lack of experience and institutional knowledge hurts the industry as a whole.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. jr/shotglass

Which, of course, is a symptom of the disease: Getting rid of veteran writing and local knowledge in favor of cheaper labor. So yes, you're absolutely right.

9. Dick Whitman

I've said before on here, also, to Hammond's point that aspiring journalists should think about a second major that could give them a base of expertise on a topic. I loved majoring in English, but imagine if I had majored in, say, statistics right as the sabermetric revolution was about to occur? (Not that it's easy to time that stuff. But a journalist with a science or economics background would be such an asset.)

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

An additional problem of that are a lot of the younger generation of reporters came of age in a hyper polarized environment. That affects the "narrative," or how reporters prime and frame news, if we want to use fancy academic words. Plus, reporters these days can pick a "side" if they work for an online news website.

QYFW likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

It would probably be shorthand, but I think the point being made is that a new generation of writers is more open to leaning toward fake news. And getting confirmation for doing so. Clicks.

12. Dick Whitman

They go into journalism precisely because they want to drive the political narrative. They think that's the deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.