1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why do people think that his personal tax returns would show his wealth, where his company isn't have investments, or who may have loaned money to his company?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good point. If there's nothing to hide, why not just go ahead and put the matter to rest?

SnarkShark, Stoney and amraeder like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't know. I'm not interested, for this portion of the discussion, in whether a threat might emerge from Saudi Arabia. I'm interested in why I should take into account the possibility Saudi Arabia might pose a threat ... when I'm deciding whether Sudan does.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

He knew they wouldn't let him speak?

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I believe most of the businesses/assets are held in flow through entities (partnerships or limited liability companies taxes as partnerships). While the partnership returns would not be part of his return, the flow through tax attributes - including income and interest payments, would be reported.

Lots of business detail would be missing from his personal returns, but information about his income levels, sources of income ( for example, from real estate related businesses or from licensing revenues) and debt levels, as well as personal information such as details of his charitable contributions (or lack thereof), would be disclosed.

The audit excuse is nothing more than an excuse, which he won't have when he files his 2016 return.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

For the most part you're right, but what you may be "missing" are simply the mistakes that were made beforehand that you likely never heard about . . . but that you would lampoon if/when Trump does them.

For example, when Obama and Putin had their summit, there was no "negotiation" (as we often assume these things are).
    It was Obama lecturing Putin. "You need to do this. You need to stop doing that, etc."
    Putin reportedly listened to the translation, sat quietly, then basically said, "Thank you," and it was over.
    And then he went ahead and did what he wanted.
    Because you don't lecture other world leaders. Unless you come from a position of incredible arrogance.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Uppity, ain't it?

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Had perhaps the easiest border crossing of my life today. I had been psyching myself up for hours and it took maybe 30 seconds, tops. Hard not to think how impossible that same journey is for so many people right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.