1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Also agreed. A lot of it is a creation of the must-get-it-out-now and have-a-hot-take mentality that's seized the media. Or like I always remind myself and reporters when working on something breaking "Better to be the first to get it right than be the first." But I don't think any of us has seen a tug-of-war between the media and the White House quite like this one.

FileNotFound likes this.
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with the long answer.

Also, Brad Jaffy has a punchable face.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Assuming that quote is true, Trump has the most amazing ability to say the craziest, illogical nonsensical things while using enough attractive words that his fans don't see a problem.

But what he is saying here is that since we have gang-bangers or whatever in the USA, you can't criticize Russia's leader for murdering people.

(No puppet. No puppet.)

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think it's interesting that Putin seems to be the only person in the world that Trump has not met and isn't sure he'll get along with. Trump normally isn't a "not sure" guy.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He'll say anything to win an argument.

Though I'd like to see what comes after those words

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's a big part of it, but it's more than a tug of war, and more than the growing mindset you mentioned. There's open hostility between both sides. Even some of the AP stories I've been reading, which generally were even-toned and standard issue over the years, have had an edge to them. Other outlets have lowered their already lesser standards even more. In recent years we've had reporters sending out ill-advised stories and tweets in the rush to be first. Now it seems they're doing that with an agenda and an air of malice. That's bad for everyone.
    Hell, I'm a veteran reporter who knows what to look for to determine whether it's a bullshit story or not, and even I have trouble sorting through it these days. I'm almost at the point where I have to read three different versions of any story to triangulate the facts. It's exhausting. Is it any wonder the average person who sees one headline -- or a string of disproven stories -- gets swayed into thinking either Trump or the media is dishonest about every single thing?
    The "FAKE NEWS!" thing has become a meme, and understandably so, but it's not totally inaccurate.

I Should Coco and HanSenSE like this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I blame soccer :)

And I hear ya on agendas. I was a wire editor during the second Gulf War and we'd fill 3-4 pages a night with war news. We had both AP and (as it was known at the time) the Times-Post wire. Had to read each story on a topic that was newsworthy to choose not only the best one, but one with a neutral voice. All that "you only cover us when we lose" training in sports, I guess. After a while, I could tell by the byline what kind of spin would take before reading it.

Batman likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Trump is a fucking saggy, weepy twat. Fuck that motherfucker.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Putin's a killer!
    Putin's a mess!
    But Putin's out. Who's gonna take his place?

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Somebody's been drinking.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not enough. He's still a twat. You can argue against it, but you know you're wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.