1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/06/us/politics/donald-trump-administration.html?_r=0

Several things of interest here. Among others, Trump has gone permanent campaign. Since he has already filed for 2020, I guess we'll be seeing a lot of this. Here's the answer regarding who is running the pro-DeVos ads.

"Permanent campaign, confirmation edition
    An outside, pro-Trump political group is adding veteran fund-raisers and Republican party strategists, and is also employing one of the president’s campaign ad-makers to try to ensure Senate confirmation of his remaining cabinet nominees.

The group, 45Committee, has signed Larry Weitzner, of Jamestown Associates, which produced most of Mr. Trump’s campaign ads in the general election. Mr. Weitzner’s first spot will air nationally this week, with a gauzy focus on the initial days of the Trump presidency.

It’s part of a $4 million effort, with three other ads focused specifically on the nominations of Betsy DeVos for education secretary, Jeff Sessions for attorney general and Tom Price for secretary of health and human services.

Some of those ads have been broadcast in states with critical races in the 2018 midterms. The other new advisers are Cara Mason, who worked as the finance director for the Trump Victory committee under Reince Priebus; Rob Collins, a former National Republican Senatorial Committee executive director; Mike Shields, a former Republican National Committee chief of staff; and Rob Simms, a former National Republican Congressional Committee executive director.

With Mr. Trump’s administration still evolving, the 45Committee has moved in to fill the void supporting the White House as it finds itself besieged by critics."

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm just looking for consistency.

I don't appreciate Trump equating Putin to us.

Were you offended by Durbin's comments? By John Kerry comparing our troops to Ghengis Khan? By Obama's moral equivalency comparisons where he referenced the Crusades?

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It sounds good on paper, but it still comes down to what oop said. You cannot defend Trump's first three weeks in any other terms.

TowelWaver likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There are parts I'm perfectly happy to defend, and others I'm unwilling to defend.

And, then of course their are parts I am not willing to defend, but have to push back against the ridiculous claims from the left.

I just don't believe the left when they say they are offended by some of the things Trump has said and done.

I mean, really, we're going to call Trump the first president to not be an American Exceptionalist? And, criticize him for it.

Obama scoffed at the notion, and no one on the left criticized him for it.

Obama constantly put down America when speaking in countries with oppressive regimes, and referenced Christian atrocities from 1,000 years earlier as a way of comparing the problems with Christianity with those of Islam.

Was there criticism of this from the left?

Show me a post where someone here who wasn't a conservative criticized him.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That's nonsense.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You said "a lot of Republicans" were criticizing Trump. Please help me find them or withdraw the statement.

7. Guy_Incognito

If only Dumbledore would talk back.

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Wait .... Republicans voted dozens of times to repeal Obamacare when they knew they couldn't actually accomplish it.

But now that they've got everything they want, it's going to take a few years?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if Trump is tweeting that we should blame the judge if some foreign bad guy does something, can we blame Trump if a judge is killed by a wracked-out supporter?

Has any president tried to turn the public against a branch of government or group of people like he has?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As my old pal Charles Pierce has pointed out, don't forget the threats against the judge in the Schiavo case from elected officials. Trump's not that different from other Republicans except that he says the quiet parts loud and is, well, not quite right in the head.

Ace likes this.
  12. Guy_Incognito

And Pierce is part of the problem. Again, when you treat your ideological opponents like they're out of bounds, you lose the ability to identify someone who is in fact out of bounds.

QYFW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.