1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nice, but what is this "10" thing they speak of?

3. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

"Trump Claims News Media Seeks to Play Down Terror Attacks
    By JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS

The president’s comments, made in a speech to military personnel, appeared to ignore the vast amount of reporting on violence committed by the Islamic State."

The above is from the NYT front page. Not to beat a dead horse, but traditional mainstream media would be better served by publishing the unvarnished and unambiguous truth. For example this is how I would write it:

Trump Makes False Claims on Media Coverage of Terror Attacks. The president's comments, made in a speech to military personnel, continued his practice of stating easily disproven falsehoods.

See what I did there? Didn't have to use the L word.

4. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

An effective way to give feedback is to focus on the behavior not the person. This works well. Describe the behavior to the other person and how it affects you and the organization and how it makes you feel.

In a sense this is what traditional media has been trying to do. Saying Trump is a lying, orange haired orangutan plays into his strengths as a master persuading hypnotist (bully) (HT Scott Adams). Objective feedback must be honest to be effective, see my post above. "Liberals" need to reclaim honesty by stop pretending the emperor wears clothes on several issues.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Trump: You don't cover ISIS when they terrorize.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It reads like a reality show recap.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Misguided as it is, it's just his opinion. I could say that ESPN does not cover LeBron enough. It wouldn't be a lie or a false claim, although most would certainly disagree.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The President of the US, any one of 'em, has all sorts of opinions on everything. But an opinion that is disconnected from reality, while it might not be a lie, is something even more alarming. I wonder how long it will take for the word "delusion" to be in some outlet's headline.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No. This is not subjective.

It's like me arguing my "opinion" that the Phillies won the World Series last year.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I disagree strongly, but kinder, gentler Dick Whitman is going to let it rest.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The problem is we allow the opinions of idiots to carry equal weight as the opinions of smart people. And when you question this you're called an elitist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.