1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I love one of the Boston ones. A guy called the police and said he wanted to stab cops. Later, they found a knife on him. Blow up the front page, we have a major scoop about a person not stabbing anyone!

Just to close the loop on this idiocy, I read about this nefarious non-covered plot in that scrappy startup that holds the evil MSM in check, USA Today.

Documents: Boston terror suspect planned knife attacks on 'boys in blue'

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Curious to hear folk's reaction to David Frum's advice on how the left should resist/protest Trump:

Don’t get sucked into the futile squabbling cul-de-sac of intersectionality and grievance politics. Look at this roster of speakers from the January 21 march. What is Angela Davis doing there? Where are the military women, the women police officers, the officeholders? If Planned Parenthood is on the stage, pro-life women should stand there, too. If you want somebody to speak for immigrants, invite somebody who’s in the country lawfully.

Here are a few useful tests:

a) Could this demand be achieved by a law passed through Congress?

b) Can I imagine my Rush Limbaugh listening brother-in-law agreeing with it?

c) Can I tweet it?

If so … good.

Alternatively

d) Would I still be upset about this if Marco Rubio were president now?

If so … bad.

What Effective Protest Could Look Like

Stoney and QYFW like this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Use it. LIE LIE LIE.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

He didn't say "underreported." He said the media is not covering these attacks at all.

Not subjective. And provably and demonstrably false.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Like all of us, Frum wants to have his cake and eat it. He wants policies opposed by most of the protesters to be given tacit support while they focus on the parts of Trump he dislikes. Also, giving a shit about Angela Davis is pretty ridiculous. I'll bet 99 percent of the crowds at that demo never heard of her. Of course protests should be orderly and non-violent (this does not mean they can't be loud and a little rowdy). As for President Rubio, he'd be trying to repeal Obamacare too. Why shouldn't its supporters be protesting if that were the case?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Back to Trump saying they may not have an Obamacare replacement until next year, it kinda seems like they're punting on the issue if they end up not doing anything about it this year. There's no way Congress will want to tackle anything major in the year before midterms.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Frum makes some good points, but an appeal to the Limbaugh-ites and a false equivalence to Rubio aren't among them.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There you go taking him literally again.

Gonna need the Trump translator here.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Angela Davis shouldn't be anywhere around an event that is trying to bring new people into a movement.

The part about Rubio is simple. If you think that Donald Trump is an existential threat to the nation, then you must treat mainstream Republicans like Mitt Romney and Marco Rubio differently.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Protesting proposed legislation is the same for every President, no matter who. There are people for whom access to health insurance is a life and death matter. That's pretty existential.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.