1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Because they're used as justification that public schools suck by comparison.

Charter schools often - not always! - cherry pick via lottery. Some even teach via immersion - pulling the kids out of their shitty environment and putting them in a concentrated one. Which is fine enough; it works. But what charter schools tend not to tolerate are fuck ups that distract from the mission of charter schools. Public schools get to deal with those.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I dunno. Why go out and commit journalism by investigating this stuff when you can bring back, for one night only, Abbot and Costello! Is anything they're saying moving the story forward?

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Tell me more about how this works.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Are you referring to rich families in the cities? Otherwise, I have no idea why a family in a wealthy suburb would have a need for a charter school. Those school systems offer the best salaries and attract the best teachers.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Cherry pick, via lottery? How does that work?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, comfortable families in suburbs with good schools do all sorts of stupid shit when it comes to their kids. I play golf with a guy who spends $46,000 a year on private school tuition (total for two kids) when there's a perfectly good ... outstanding, actually ... public school he could send his kids to. As another buddy once said, this guy would be as well off if he'd stuff that money up a wild pig's ass and yell, "Sooey!"

I have another similarly situated acquaintance who's jumped through a lot of hoops to get his son into a "classics academy" charter school. My acquaintance is no rocket scientist, let me tell you. One day he was bragging about this son, then in maybe the fourth grade, learning how to do square roots "without the formula." Ummmm ... huh? He meant without a calculator.

8. YankeeFan

Damn it! Doc beat me.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just wait until he brings in Arthur Laffer to get advice on fighting ISIS.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I understand how charter schools work. But it isn't rich folk seeking them where I live. They may support the charter schools in the nearby city, but it's not some part of a nefarious plan to end public education. They want to help students and may not realize the limitations of charters overall.

12. YankeeFan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.