1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good gosh. Can we get DQ's number to Trump?

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I do. And will even in a voucher system. I'm familiar with the reasons the system is as it is, but for those of us on the wrong end of it, it stinks. I also think it's the wrong/unfair answer, though I'm clearly not objective on the subject so take that with as many grains of salt as you want.
    As much as I'm hating almost everything trump does, and absolutely everything he stands for, I'm open to the possibility that there will be some policy silver linings to his dark, dark cloud. Vouchers (which I think are easily constitutional and open to debate on policy), gorsuch and maybe in the future a new approach to Iran and an unraveling of the deal would be consolation prizes I can celebrate while still being disgusted every time I think about who is in the White House.

3. Guy_Incognito

I'm familiar with the case (was even before TAL). It's disgraceful. Fix it, and impose safeguards to protect against it. But the fact that a system is corruptable doesn't mean it needs to be tossed.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Seriously, look up East Ramapo. Read about people trying to line their pockets while privatizing education. These are very real threats to public education and vouchers are a part of them.

There is absolutely nothing unfair about you having to pay extra for a religious education for your child, but the separation of church and state isn't there to defend you, so it is quite easy for you to dismiss it.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I would pay to hear Trump talk about this with Ragu.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  7. Guy_Incognito

It's not?

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You've riled #BoardCentrist

9. outofplace

How? How do you keep it from happening elsewhere? How do you do anything but hurt public schools by siphoning the money into private education?

Vouchers will create more situations like East Ramapo. And the worst if it is most of the damage was done legally.

10. outofplace

My apologies if I was incorrect in assuming you are part of the religious majority in this country. I should have clarified that.

Of course, it is there to protect everybody, but the ones who need it most are the members of religious minorities. That said, the truly sad part is that it is members of a religious minority that turned East Ramapo into a mess.

11. Guy_Incognito

How should I know? I'm not an expert in the area. When AMA was rolled out and the website was a mess, did you say to abandon the endeavor? Did you know how to fix the problems?

12. outofplace

The potential for abuse isn't the only reason vouchers are a problem, but those safeguards you are talking about should absolutely be in place from day one. It doesn't take an expert in the area to do a little research into what safeguards would have to be in place. It is damn hard to legally deal with a district like that one. Most of the damage to those schools was done legally.

I haven't seen or heard any proponents of vouchers offer up a good plan for avoiding such abuses, but that issue is just part of the problem. The larger issue is the simple fact that government money should not be spent on religious education, certainly not at the expense of public education.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.