1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, three teachers were suspended. If I am reading this right, two of them spoke about the issue in class rather than just address it privately with the student. That makes me wonder what they said, but you would think explaining why the symbol and the slur the student used were inappropriate would be acceptable.

I am more disturbed by the punishment for revoking a letter of recommendation. The teacher is putting his or her reputation on the line with such a letter and should absolutely have the right to rescind it if given reason. As pointed out in the article, the school could badly damage its reputation by punishing a teacher for this.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's not cherry-picking. Cherry-picking would be choosing a student body with higher aptitude/better preparation and then using its better performance as evidence of your methods' superiority.

Note that I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the premise of the rest of your post/position. But what you describe is not "cherry-picking."

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I agree. I suspect the suspension was promoted by some ultra-cautious (actually incorrect) interpretation of FERPA. Still, you gotta have the freedom to rescind recommendations, otherwise they're even more useless than normal.

As an aside, the whole LOR process is, to my lights, not really working anymore. I often sit on tenure and hiring committees, and every letter is glowing ... but then again every letter has been carefully selected. No information is conveyed by these. And when I'm asked to provide one -- it doesn't happen often -- I never know what to say. I was asked the other day for one from a student who'd been in a half-semester class of mine in the fall of '15. Have no recollection at all. Even looked up the student's picture on the class roll. Nope. I told the student I couldn't do it.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I appreciate that. It's probably the wrong phrase.

I view cherry picking more broadly - that the process has to be seen as ripe at some point, but not necessarily off the tree, that the smallness of the sample size is what's most important - but I agree that interpretation is a flawed expansion of the concept.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I doubt it. I think the Pence tiebreaker was embarrassing to the administration, and they would have avoided it if they could have. More likely than a conspiracy is that these two got in quick before the consequences were too great, and that raised the stakes and the heat on anyone else who would have wanted to.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's the whole right wing/ALEC conspiracy game plan, played out in all the state legislatures where they've taken over. Once they seize power they ram through everything as fast as they can, before the opposition can get organized and mount any sort of counterattack. Then consolidate power and eradicate the resistance.

The libs should have seen this coming for years. They may be at a point where their only option is to, well, we better not even talk about it. Better Be Careful.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Fuck that. Give him Ragu's number. Guy will never stop explaining shit to Trump, and he won't have any time to screw anything else up.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's been 46 years so when's that Revolution that won't be televised?

Or will it be Facebook Live'd and tweeted instead?

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And please, Trump did NOT ask Flynn about strong/weak dollar. Idiots are proving the point that people will try to stick ANYTHING on Trump.

"According to two sources familiar with Flynn's account ... "

Uh-huh, sure.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.