1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Really? I would think she's his dream opponent.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

LOL ... Reagan wasn't President in 1980.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

LOL. Yes, I blew that one. Confused election with inauguration.

Are two data points in your business enough to make you commit to wholesale changes to it?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Likely not, but Trump could have done a hell of a lot better.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He says a couple of things (including a small mention in the link I just provided).

1. It's mostly folk legend with zero concrete evidence that points toward Putin. The most famous murdered Russian journalist was probably Anna Politkovskaya, shot in her apartment building in 2006. Cohen was a close friend of hers. He says neither her family nor her friends believes Putin had anything to do with it --- it's simply the default button pressed by the West.

Let's say, for example, that Rush Limbaugh was found murdered today. Best known for his relentless attacks on the Clintons and Obama. Would Clinton or Obama automatically be accused of ordering the murder? Of course not. But it might not be too hard to imagine a Clinton or Obama supporter who was fed up with Rush doing such a thing. Many --- not all, but many --- of the perpetrators of these crimes in Russia have been brought to justice, though there will always be the question hanging over them ("Ah, but did they do it on Putin's orders?"). For his part, Putin has said that Anna's death has made the Kremlin's job much HARDER than when she was alive, because of all the blowback. We'll never know all the answers for sure, of course, and that's maddening.

The best program I have heard to address this stuff was this episode from a few weeks ago.

audioBoom / Tales of the New Cold War: The Demonization of Vladimir Putin. Stephen F. Cohen @NYU @Princeton University @TheNation.com EastWestAccord.com

2. To this day, there are lots of people and media opposing Putin. Many newspapers, many TV stations. Believe it or not, but RT is not the only media outlet in Russia. If you want to read criticism of Putin in Russia, it's very easy to find. And nothing is happening to these people.

3. The violent deaths of journalists in Russia started in the Yeltsin era (1991-1999). Sixty-five were murdered in those 8 years. How many times did you hear about Yeltsin being a killer? Former President Dmitry Medvedev calls it an atmosphere of "legal nihilism" that plagues the country.

4. There have been 36 trials of the people who murdered journalists since Putin took over. There were 10 such trials under Yeltsin.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, I blew that one. Confused election with inauguration.

7. doctorquant

You know, he was wrong ... perhaps there's a more nuanced parsing of the data that leads to thus-and-such being the highest in 40 years ... but he flubbed it. He might be well-advised to try being a little more careful with his bluster.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. doctorquant

Well, you could have said the high rate resulted from the specter of Reagan as President. I've seen crazier hot takes 'round these parts ... :D

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Is there an offshore book allowing bets on your question?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I screwed up. I should have preceded my question with, "Not counting dittoheads . . . "

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So ... no letter of recommendation?

TowelWaver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.