1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

So Trump got the facts wrong, but he's right about the greater truth?

doctorquant likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Reminds me of John Kerry being sent to Cambodia by President Nixon at Christmas time 1968.

3. YankeeFan

Exactly!!

doctorquant likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Except he really isn't right about the greater truth, either. There was a one-year rise, and a relatively small one at that, but the current numbers are still well below 1980.

Even if he was right about a greater truth, it still wouldn't excuse the inaccurate statement. The real question is whether Trump lied or just didn't know what he was talking about. Both are certainly possible.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've never heard somebody who is really smart say anything like this ...

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Stipulating that the numbers are correct, a >10% increase is not a relatively small one.

As re: your second paragraph, I'd put my money on him having been informed of the more nuanced case (stipulating that such exists) and simply mucking it up.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You still haven't.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Remember, never take Trump literally. Unless you get the high sign from YF.

10. YankeeFan

Pointing out that Trump is wrong is fine.

But, folks are being just as dishonest as Trump when they refute him. But, pointing that out is a "distraction".

I'm just imagining the newspaper executive in 2000 reassuring his colleagues that, while advertising revenue was down the last couple of years, it was still higher than 1965's revenue.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This is a Baron-level analogy.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

An additional problem with this line of thinking: Once it's normalized that people shouldn't have to "pay for education twice" to put their kids in private school, the logical next step is that people who do not have school-age children will argue they shouldn't have to pay for public education at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.