1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No they're not. He's arguing that by paying for his children's education, he is eliminating the need for everyone else to pay for same.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But people who don't have children eliminate that cost from their property tax bill.

It would be an interesting society indeed if our taxes were assigned as a fee-for-service expense.

TowelWaver likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I live in a town with some of the highest property taxes in the state and have done so as a homeowner since 1992. Taxes are high because our town's public school system is one of the best in the country, and quality is expensive. My children both went through that system. It's why we moved there. And that's the key here, because even if we'd sent them to private school, thereby paying "double" the value of my home would still have tripled in those 25 years. That's how it works here. High taxes, good schools, high property values. It's a three-legged stool.

Riptide and LongTimeListener like this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And now the official @POTUS account has RTed Trump's whining about Nordstrom's.

7. doctorquant

Oh, it'd be interesting all right, because it wouldn't work.

But I don't see the "I pay double" argument* as necessarily inconsistent with the argument that people without children should still pay for public schools. Society makes a claim on all of us to ensure a well-educated populace. During such time as you're paying for your children's private education, however, you're lessening, if only slightly, the burden for everyone. So you could still make the argument that everybody should pay for public education ... but if (and while) you have kids in private school, you shouldn't have to.

*It's not really correct, though, because nobody pays double. I think my local school district drops about $12K a year per kid in public schools ... and even when I've had only one in there (I've had up to three enrolled at a time), my property taxes have never come close to that.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. Canadians are so polite. They even give compliments when making corrections.

[​IMG]

UPChip likes this.
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if your (or my) kids cost $12K though. If we look at it in value terms, the school district is making money from the tax bill on kids like that while paying a lot more for special-needs kids, English learners, etc.

It's not unlike an insurance pool. And when the "good risk" people vanish from the insurance pool, you see what happens.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Maybe everyone in America should get an individualized tax bill for only the services they use.

Good idea. The continental US has not been invaded since 1814. My tax rebate from the Department of Defense will be significant.

Ace, HanSenSE, Baron Scicluna and 3 others like this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. doctorquant

Yeah ... I tell you, though, that reality has led to some pretty unseemly positions I've run across these last few years. Basically, they argue that the whole public-education-is-for-society's-benefit means that not only do you owe society your money, you also owe it your kids (meaning your kids should be forced to go to whatever school society decides is best for it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.